AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving into the new pad in a few weeks! Trying to get everything covered. I am having the structured wiring company terminate all my cat5 with an RJ45 jack at the home run (so I can switch from my network router to/from the phone hub if needed), so I've been looking around at RJ45 capabile phone dist. hubs. The two I have found are the:

Channelplus 8051
http://www.multiplextechnology.com/p...wire/8051.html

Openhouse H619
http://www.openhousesystem.com/telecom.htm

Can anyone tell me if these units are basically the same? I'm most likley going with the Channelplus 838bid coax pannel, so I was leaning towards the Channelplus 8051 for the phone, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks!

Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I never really understood these telephone distribution panels.

Are you going to install a telephone system?

I have a Panasonic telephone system installed in my home. It's really straightforward. All rooms are homerunned with cat5 back to the wiring closet. In the closet is the Telephone system that all cat 5's are connected to.

What benefit does the distribution panel provide over the telephone system?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aaron, both units do the same thing the only difference I see is the open house will give you 12 locations the channel plus 8 locations. What type panel do you have?

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pannel that the company is installing is a "Square D". It's suppose to have the same grid pattern as the Channelplus and Openhouse grids, so I'm thinking I'll be safe with either one.

cmcjo,n I have all of my wires home runned to a pannel. I need a telephone hub to use the incoming phone wires from the telco, and then distribute to all of my locations. No, none of those fancy phone systems or anything.

Thanks for the info.

Aaron

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aaron, Square D and Open House are one and the same. OnQ modules will also fit in a Square D panel.

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also under the assumption that Channelplus and Open House grid patterns were the same, too. Is that correct?

I was planning on getting the H838bid coax pannel, and most likely the Channelplus phone hub, hoping that both of these units would fit.

Aaron

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aaron, the 8051 will not fit unless you use the H282 mounting brackets. I think the H838 is an open house product and will fit. I couldn't find an H838 on the channelplus web site. The funny part is they're the same company.

Are you trimming the plugs or the structured wiring company?

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, this is becoming confusing. I had thought that all Openhouse and Channelplus units would fit in the Square D enclosure. I guess I had better make sure before I start buying stuff.

I really wanted to order from Worthing Dist, as they have super low prices, but at this time, they can only sell Channelplus stuff. I called today and they confirmed they can't sell any Open House products.

The Channelplus equivalent to the H838 is the DA550 series coax pannels.

The wiring company is terminating the cables.

Also, a question regarding splitters. I plan to bring in 1 coax line from the cable dmarc. I had planned to split the coax, 1 going to the coax pannel for TV distribution out, via coax, to the TV locations. The other output of the splitter would go to my cable modem, then the Linksys router, and then out the cat5e connections to the LAN drops.

I guess my main question is....what's a good splitter to use? I'm spending all this money on good equipment, and I don't wanna put a piece of crap spliiter before all of it and hurt anything. I see there are ChannelPlus splitters for like $10. Will this be sufficient? Or does anyone have anythign else to recommend?

Thanks as always,

Aaron

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aaron, Open House and Square D are the same. Square D uses Open House products they just label Square D. It looks like channel plus modules do not have a grid type mounting system. You could try a Graybar branch for Square D products or ADI for open house. I do not know if they sell over counter. Both have branches in Tampa. Let the cable company install the splitter. Cable company is great for unhooking video modules and connecting their own splitter.

Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, OpenHouse H619 and Square D Multi-link SDM412PJ are the same device, just labeled differently.

The ChannelPlus 8501 is an older device that was intended to be screwed directly to a sheet of plywood or would fit some enclosures we no longer offer. We still sell the 8051 (people still want it) but there is no clean way to mount it in a modern OpenHouse enclosure.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I think I have it all straight. Since I have the Square D enclosure, I should go for the Openhouse 838BID and the Open House H619.

Since Worthing Dist doesn't seem to sell Open House products, does anyone have a recomendation for another place that sells OpenHouse products at a pretty good discount?

Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.