AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering...........all the telephone lines in my house are cat 5.

I have DSL from ATT and because of how things are set up in the den, I have to run a telephone cord to the router on the other side of the rooom.

I am currently using a telephone cord I got with the router, the standard telephone cord that costs 5 bucks for 50 feet at WM or Radio Shack.

The same style that has been around for 30 years. I don't know what it is called......does anyone know ?

Anyhow, I want to subscribe to Netflix and thought about downloading and picture quality.

Should I replace the common telephone line with a cat 5,6 line from Monoprice ?

I currently use a cat 6 jumper from the router to the Dish receiver and another cat 6 line from the router to the blu ray player.

Everything else is a cat line, it seems that this should be too .

What does everyone else use ?

Is what I have good enough or should I replace it ?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^

One more question while I am at it............

I need to replace a 2 way splitter.

I saw one at the store that was 5-900 mhz.

Monoprice has one that is 5-2300 mhz.

And I saw one from Monster that was 1-5000 mhz.

I know that currently the largest transmission is 866 mhz, if I recall correctly.

But if I get Netflix and download a blu ray movie, will it require more bandwith ?

Panasonic and Sony are going to start offering 3D capable players this year.

Will the new 900 mhz carry them satisfactorily or do I need to upgrade?

I am only in the process of replacing 2 but if the new ones can't properly handle the new standard ( 3D or Blu Ray ) I amy as well get new ones all the way around while I am upgrading.

Will the 900 mhz process them properly or should I go big ?

The 2300 mhz from Monoprice are 3.09 and the 5000 mhz I saw from Monster were 20 bucks, 15 on ebay.

And suggestions for this and the previous question ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I know the answer to the first question.

Telephone line is cat 3 and I should replace it. The category of wire was not printed on the side of the wire.

Cat 3 should not be used for data. I learned that a few minutes ago.

I am going to order one from Monoprice and replace it.

What about question number 2 ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I may have missed this somewhere... but the Cat3 (telephone cable) you were referring to replacing above.. where does each end of that terminate?

If its between the homes telephone jack and the DSL modem, I dont think it would make a differece. On the other hand, if its anywhere after the modem Im certain that it would make a difference.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Right:

Telephone wire should not make a difference, but if used for data (RJ45 - 8 pin plugs) cat5e at least - and purchasing a pre-made patch cable is always a good idea.

As for splitters - you are referring to cable TV COAX splitters it sounds like - if you have normal cable TV a 850-MHz splitter is fine, if FIOS, you need 1GHz, if satellite (dish or direct's SWM system) you need 2.2GHz, anything beyond that is a waste. Downloading movies has no effect on the demands of the splitter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnbysound /forum/post/18182094

I may have missed this somewhere... but the Cat3 (telephone cable) you were referring to replacing above.. where does each end of that terminate?

If its between the homes telephone jack and the DSL modem, I dont think it would make a differece. On the other hand, if its anywhere after the modem Im certain that it would make a difference.
The telephone line I am talking about is those extension cords you buy to extend the range of your landline. I currently have DSL with ATT. There is a plastic splitter thing coming out of the wall where you plug the landline for the phone into one port and the other port is for the router.

I only use the landline for the internet.

Anyhow.....The router is on the other side of the room with the tv. I have the router plugged into the wall using one of those phone lines you get with the router. You can buy them at WM for something like 5 bucks for 50 feet or something ridiculously cheap like that.

I replaced my previous ethernet cables with much shorter ones I ordered from Monoprice recently. The ones I had were like 6,8 feet long and there was a real mess behind the tv. I replaced them with ones that were 1 and 2 feet long (router to Dish receiver and router to blu ray) . I also replaced some coax cables with some new ones that were more appropriate for the size I need. It really cleaned up the mess quite a bit.

I was wondering if I ordered a new cat 6 cable if it would improve the download speed or perhaps help with the reception I might have in the future

with Netflix. I was going to get one that was about 25,30 feet long so it could run along the baseboards, out of sight.

I am not asking about the telephone cord because I am such a tighta$$ that I don't want to spend 3 bucks at Monoprice for a new line. I am basically trying to learn more about AV stuff and what the different elements are capable of.

I am not even sure the telephone line is cat 3, that is what my neighbor told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Feller /forum/post/18182881

Right:

Telephone wire should not make a difference, but if used for data (RJ45 - 8 pin plugs) cat5e at least - and purchasing a pre-made patch cable is always a good idea.

Yeah, I don't make my own cables. I am not a professional and I am only trying to upgrade the old stuff I have and trying to clean up a mess behind the tv. Once I do this little project, I'll be good for another year or two...until I upgrade to a 3D tv in the future perhaps.

As for splitters - you are referring to cable TV COAX splitters it sounds like - if you have normal cable TV a 850-MHz splitter is fine, if FIOS, you need 1GHz, if satellite (dish or direct's SWM system) you need 2.2GHz, anything beyond that is a waste. Downloading movies has no effect on the demands of the splitter.
The one I have is good to 900 mhz and I have the Dish. I guess I should upgrade.

Thanks for the info regarding the downloading. It makes sense now.

Many thanks for your help. I am a rookie and trying to learn one step at a time, as I encounter new problems or a new project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts