AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
So you hacked up two antennas and added their directors to the new antenna? Interesting, but expensive.
So, I have VHF hi, and UHF here, so the one with VHF works on UHF as well as the UHF only? Right now, I am using a DB8 pointed west (all the main stations and low power stations on a mountain about 25 miles away) LOS and a small channel master VHF/UHF yagi stealth antenna pointed South for PBS and CW about 30 miles away 1 edge.
Nothing around here close enough to DX. Memphis is the closest at 150 miles.

BTW, I grew up in Mukwonago in Waukesha co. Had a HUGE Channel Master antenna to watch cubs games on ch 9, and blacked out packer games from Madison on Ch 3. In the early 70's.

Reactions: LaserBeamSC

·
Registered
117 Posts
So you hacked up two antennas and added their directors to the new antenna? Interesting, but expensive.
So, I have VHF hi, and UHF here, so the one with VHF works on UHF as well as the UHF only? Right now, I am using a DB8 pointed west (all the main stations and low power stations on a mountain about 25 miles away) LOS and a small channel master VHF/UHF yagi stealth antenna pointed South for PBS and CW about 30 miles away 1 edge.
Nothing around here close enough to DX. Memphis is the closest at 150 miles.

BTW, I grew up in Mukwonago in Waukesha co. Had a HUGE Channel Master antenna to watch cubs games on ch 9, and blacked out packer games from Madison on Ch 3. In the early 70's.
The UHF only Televes I have does pickup RF 13 for me but you might want to get the Mix version. If your towers are that close you might want to consider a smaller antenna and save some money. I have markets on all different directions so I want the highest gain I can get.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Yea, they are close, but to pick up the low power ones I needed a DB8. I tried the "4 west and 4 south" advertised method, and it didnt work. VHF 12 broke up and low power station dropped. Current setup is working well and gets all local stuff perfectly. I was going to replace the DAT75 up on the rotor for DXing when tropo comes in next fall. Not really sure missing half the reflector is really affecting it that much but its for the old 14-82 I think from the size of the directors. Seems to still be working, but that magic amplifier built in sounded promising for adjacent channel DX to the full powers locally.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yea, they are close, but to pick up the low power ones I needed a DB8. I tried the "4 west and 4 south" advertised method, and it didnt work. VHF 12 broke up and low power station dropped. Current setup is working well and gets all local stuff perfectly. I was going to replace the DAT75 up on the rotor for DXing when tropo comes in next fall. Not really sure missing half the reflector is really affecting it that much but its for the old 14-82 I think from the size of the directors. Seems to still be working, but that magic amplifier built in sounded promising for adjacent channel DX to the full powers locally.
I understand now. You have 2 setups. 1 for locals and that’s working well and one for DXing which is what you want to replace. The Televes DAT BOSS LR or Mix should be great. I’m ordering a fold over tower from Heights Towers soon. Climbing the tower isn’t as “fun” as it used to be at my age.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That is totally awesome for sure Chi and I would love to put some height to that! Really cool the young man was involved! It was actually you and some other posters over time that convinced me to try the LR. I’ve been creeping this forum for a long and really enjoyed some of the AVS superstars with their experiments, data, opinions, etc so I recently joined. I also liked the Televes Reps coming on and defending their product whether one agreed or disagreed with them. It made for some interesting reads. The 91xg and DB8e are some of my favorite long range antennas but the LR was better for my situation so far. Btw I hated to read about your recent rooftop disaster. PM me if you need a couple new ones to help with replacements. I have a few spares.
I sent you a private message. I'm interested for sure. I want to do a quad gang / stack. Something about putting antennas together with a low-loss combining system appeals to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Seeing this on my smartphone. Can’t type up a huge post. But I have the Televes Dat Boss LR Mix and a CM3020. The Televes is roof level and gets channels 67 miles away. Does it beat the 3020? No. But that’s because of the band and height. My antennas are 20’ max on blocks, then home made telescoped.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
They are sold out everywhere (the one with VHF hi and UHF 14-36). Have a request at Lowes and Solid Signal when back in stock. Newegg business had one, but it was $260.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They are sold out everywhere (the one with VHF hi and UHF 14-36). Have a request at Lowes and Solid Signal when back in stock. Newegg business had one, but it was $260.
Check eBay. I got mine from Solid Signal (eBay) for the same price Lowe's was asking for the UHF only. I do have some gripes with it. Mainly the active portion. The elements are VERY tiny and flimsy. As long as you don't damage them, or the weather doesn't you're great. I've tried everything on my antenna pole. From custom antennas to my current setup. The 3020 and LR MIX are both great antennas. I just wish their active elements were made stronger.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Nope, none on Ebay either. Model I need is the 149883.
I was going to order the UHF only one, but noticed it still has directors for channels 61.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It looks to be on somewhat of a hill pointed out above lower ground. So the 8" plus the land elevation make 1000 feet?
It’s 1000 feet before the antenna & pole. The surrounding land is about the same height as the land where the antenna is. It’s nuts that I had to go lower. I think my antenna is aiming between large trees in the woods adjacent to my own land (seen far off in this image). So too high, and the tops of the trees cause issues. Too low, and the woods I clear cut, but haven’t removed get in the way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It’s 1000 feet before the antenna & pole. The surrounding land is about the same height as the land where the antenna is. It’s nuts that I had to go lower. I think my antenna is aiming between large trees in the woods adjacent to my own land (seen far off in this image). So too high, and the tops of the trees cause issues. Too low, and the woods I clear cut, but haven’t removed get in the way.

View attachment 3119192
Some terrain is so challenging. How do the deciduous trees affect reception in the late Spring until Fall?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seeing this on my smartphone. Can’t type up a huge post. But I have the Televes Dat Boss LR Mix and a CM3020. The Televes is roof level and gets channels 67 miles away. Does it beat the 3020? No. But that’s because of the band and height. My antennas are 20’ max on blocks, then home made telescoped. View attachment 3118551
That Channelmaster is partial Log Periodic on the VHF I can see. Do you have any issues with birds?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I currently have the AD db8e connected with the televes t force pre amp to help mitigate combination loss.

After reading, I’m wondering if the UHF only televes lr would outperform my setup.

Also, I’ve got nasty multipath interference from my out of market stations (the snr fades and will drop out every minute or two to about 12dB for a few seconds). Is the televes lr an antenna that has the highest possible UHF gain that is on the market today? - and I mean gain as in antenna performance not amplified gain… I don’t care that much about amp gain

·
Registered
53 Posts
I currently have the AD db8e connected with the televes t force pre amp to help mitigate combination loss.

After reading, I’m wondering if the UHF only televes lr would outperform my setup.

Also, I’ve got nasty multipath interference from my out of market stations (the snr fades and will drop out every minute or two to about 12dB for a few seconds). Is the televes lr an antenna that has the highest possible UHF gain that is on the market today? - and I mean gain as in antenna performance not amplified gain… I don’t care that much about amp gain
P/N 149783 - DAT LR UHF

·
Registered
117 Posts

At one time I thought the DB8e was the best antenna going until I tried the LR. I think the integrated preamp and antenna make for a great combination. As far as non-amplified I don’t know but I can say straight out of the box the LR with the preamp works incredibly well for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
At one time I thought the DB8e was the best antenna going until I tried the LR. I think the integrated preamp and antenna make for a great combination. As far as non-amplified I don’t know but I can say straight out of the box the LR with the preamp works incredibly well for me.
Thanks for your response. Did you use a “good” pre amp with your db8e/was your cable run short?

If not, the extra benefit switching to the televes may have been from the built in pre amp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for your response. Did you use a “good” pre amp with your db8e/was your cable run short?

If not, the extra benefit switching to the televes may have been from the built in pre amp.
I used the Juice with the DB8e at one time and thought that was great and then tried both dual and single input Televes preamps and they were both better. I then decided to try the DAT Boss LR with the built in preamp and it was better. I’m assuming the LR preamp is similar technology to the dual and single input preamps and the LR is just better than the DB8e in my case. I did get much better results. I think Lowe’s has a pretty good return policy if it doesn’t work for you. Keep us posted on the results whatever you try!

41 - 60 of 108 Posts