AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Televes DAT75 up on the roof today, and am very surprised that it's performance is just as good or worse then my old 20 element antenna... The station I am trying to receive (WLNS, about 60 miles from my location at full power) should come in perfectly, but I get almost nothing. I don't have a rotor, so can 1 degree make the difference between nothing and a perfect signal? Also I noticed the small four element piece that snaps into the antenna is slightly bent. There is no metal to metal connection, so could this cause the majority of the antenna to be useless? Or maybe reception from my location is just impossible. I am extremely confused, so any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is it pointed correctly, does it look like an arrow pointing away from the station?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, i'm deffenitly sure it's pointed in the right direction. Its 25 feet about ground level using a winegard preamp and belden RG-6 cable. I am looking through some tree's, but as for the curvature of the earth, I should have a perfect line of sight

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Maybe it's broken. Is there a way to ask the seller questions?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
What model was your old antenna? A Televes DAT 75 likely gets you a few more dB of gain then your previous antenna, and a slightly tighter directivity pattern. Sometimes these minor technical benefits are helpful, but sometimes they make no difference at all, and if you had a problem with single-reflection multipath, sometimes a certain antenna which generally has a tighter directivity pattern than another antenna can actually make thing worse if its reception sidelobes unfortuitously happen to form nearer to the direction of the multipath reflection.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Steve, glad to see you got your antenna, sorry to hear it's not doing the job. Anyway, a couple of questions. Do you have the center bar (rail, whatever) parallel to the ground? That seems to have some effect on reception, of course you could play with this setting and see if it's a factor. Second, direction is crucial, especially with WLNS. I've got my Televes mounted over my broadband CM Quantum, both feed into my RCA A and B inputs. If I have the Televes pointing to Detroit and punch in WLNS I get zip, but with the antenna in the same direction I can go to the B input from the CM and get WLNS fine. I find if I rotate the Televes to get WLNS I have to be pretty much on target to get it well, and it does come in very well. You really should not have too much of a problem getting it. Play with positioning, and get a rotor on it when you can, I'm sure it will help

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveZ103
I don't have a rotor, so can 1 degree make the difference between nothing and a perfect signal? Also I noticed the small four element piece that snaps into the antenna is slightly bent. There is no metal to metal connection, so could this cause the majority of the antenna to be useless?
Many people have cited the lack of a "metal-on-metal" connection for the DAT75. The only connection that needs to be made is between the active elements and the downlead. All the rest just "direct" the signal by bending it towards the active element and work as freestanding elements.

The DAT75 is relatively high gain and the higher the gain, the more directional an antenna becomes. Thus it becomes critical that the antenna be aimed precisely. I haven't heard of a single degree being a make-it-or-break-it thing, but 5 degrees is more than enough at 60 miles to throw everything off. (Hint: 10 degrees is approximately a fist at arm's length. It's less than you think when you're up there.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sregener
Many people have cited the lack of a "metal-on-metal" connection for the DAT75. The only connection that needs to be made is between the active elements and the downlead. All the rest just "direct" the signal by bending it towards the active element and work as freestanding elements.
So does that mean that if the active element is bent, then the signal from the top and bottom bars could completely miss it, and become useless? I didn't notice the bend when the antenna was on the gound, but now when I look at it with the reflector in the background for reference I can see that it's bent. Would it be worth it to take the antenna down and try to correct this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, my old antenna was a winegard 20 element uhf antenna. On the TitanTV website it says that I should be able to get this channel with an 8 element antenna in the attic... Could it be possible that my antenna is in a bad spot, and moving to a different spot would fix this?

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
How much of a bend is "bent"? I would think that it would have some impact on the signal levels, how difficult is it to fix it?

Even with the bulk of the stations you're after being in the same direction I really think you are going to need a rotor, a few degrees really makes a difference with this antenna.

Keep us posted.......

·
Registered
411 Posts
Steve,

I was like you and tried the installation w/o a rotor at first thinking I could manually adjust it since most of my stations' signal points were within 5 degrees. I learned the hard way a rotor is a great addition. There are some evenings that even a 2 degree adjustment from the remote to the rotor makes the difference between reception and frequent dropouts especially with the DAT75.

good luck and the suggestion about the "arrow" part of the antenna pointing away from your signal point was a good one because the instructions don't mention anything about it. In fact the instructions mention very little with DAT75.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveZ103
On the TitanTV website it says that I should be able to get this channel with an 8 element antenna in the attic... Could it be possible that my antenna is in a bad spot, and moving to a different spot would fix this?
At 60 miles, I'd hesitate to recommend an attic installation for anyone. UHF signals propogate unevenly and small changes in position can make a huge difference in reception. In some instances, a few inches make all the difference. If you have the room on your mast, you might try moving the antenna up or down a little - say within an 18" window. There is likely a "sweet spot" in that range where the signal is strongest. (Note: sweet spots vary by channel.) If only one station is giving you grief, this may be the most cost-effective solution.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Steve,

You also might try removing the preamp. When I installed my DAT75 the

preamp actually reduced signal level on my DTC100.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.