AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this forum is great and has provided me with a wealth of information. Anyway, this summer I'll probably earn around $2500 for spending on my home theatre. $500 of that will already be going for a pair of mini monitor paradigm speakers.

So anyway.. I'm looking at purchasing a TV for about $2000 Canadian (so.. I guess anything around $1400 American). I'll probably have a tiny bit of flexibility in terms of price.. not much though.

Here's what I definitely want:

- Widescreen

- High Definition

I'll mostly be using this for DVD, and cable television. (Hopefully digital.. but still standard 4:3 NTSC)

I'm not sure what size exactly I should be going for. I'll probably be sitting about 8 feet away from the picture... I'd love to go for a 42" projection, but that might be too big. Any thoughts about what size i should go for? What size is in my budget? Is there some formula for viewing distance/television size?

I have looked at the cheaper Samsung 42" models (hcm4215w, etc.) which would probably be just in my budget.. And then theres also the 30" Samsung widescreen direct view which would probably fit in my budget quite nicely.

So.. Any suggestions regarding what size I should go for? Brands? Model Numbers?

Ben

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh.. and can anyone point to any links.. or inform me on the differences, benefits, disadvantages of single tube (direct view) displays, versus rear projection?

thnx

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ben

Welcome to AVSforum. You said you watch at 8' so my advice is go to local stores that have TVs in your budget and watch them from exactly 8'. Watch the same sort of source at the store as you watch at home including HDTV, DVD, and NTSC if possible. Although the TVs are not calibrated very well in a showroom, seeing with your own eyes is better than what we can advise.

A 42" widescreen rear projection tv (RPTV) might be fine if you watch HDTV and DVD while sitting in the sweet spot. If you watch a lot of NTSC or need to see the TV from a wide viewing angle, then the 42" RPTV might not be such a fun thing to watch. If the 42" is out, then you may also want to see what sort of 34" widescreen direct view might be within your budget. New models are coming out this summer (including a Sony widescreen 34" called the 34hs510) plus the new models might make current models go on sale. If not, you can go with the Sammy but most will not rate the picture quality on a par with Sony or Toshiba for direct view units. If you have a choice to get a DVI port that is good but it is probably not a deal-breaker at $1400 USD so Panasonic or Phillips direct-view might be an option. Your budget will make it tougher but you might score big if there is a sale or demo model available.

You may also want to search on particular models and also see what the rear projection forum folks say on that part of the AVSforum. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply rick. I'll definitely check out the 42" rptv's at my local store.. I'm guessing they wont work though, considering my setup has a fairly wide viewing angle.

I checked out the Toshiba 34HDX82, the Sony 34", and the Panasonic CT-34WX52.. all of which had incredible picture quality, but are beyond my budget. I'm starting to think that a 34" direct view widescreen will be my best option.. if I can afford one ;)

Will any of the new models actually be cheaper? I think your right though.. my best bet is looking for a good sale, or demo sale.

Samsung doesn't appear to offer any 34" widescreen models.. Their largest direct view widescreen looks to be 30" :( If I'm unable to find one of the 34" models from the previous manufacturers mentioned above, it looks like this will be my only option.

Edit: It looks like Toshiba will also be releasing a 30" widescreen with DVI around June. Does anyone have information about this?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The prices of the new model 34" widescreen direct-view HDTV sets coming out in a few months are supposed to be a few hundred dollars cheaper than the current prices. Both Sony and Toshiba are releasing new high quality 30" widescreen models in a few months too - they are much higher quality than the cheap Samsung.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ben,

Electronics Nation will ship their refurbished Philips sets to Canada. There are some good deals on 34" sets. With the exchange and shipping you would be looking at under 2K. Email them for a shipping quote. I was quoted $100-150 to Toronto.
Electronics Nation

·
Registered
219 Posts
From what I've seen and for the fact that it's over 1K, I wouldn't bother with a wide-screen under 40". When you go from 4:3 32" for e.g. you will see how small under 40" wide-screen is.

What I consider important to include in your list is DVI, I wouldn't bother spending that kind of money for a non DVI set. I have the Sony KV-32" HS500 4:3 DVI, its a wicked PC monitor, I wouldn't have it if it didn't have DVI in. Making sure it has DVI in, is just for future proofing if your not using it for PC or set to box now. You mentioned how it looks like it may only be 30" wide-screen available now. I cant stress enough, do not settle for less, you will regret later on. Never fear patients, you can always delay your set up a while longer and save a bit more to get what you really want. I suggest as others, if you are going under 40" wide-screen to go to show room and really study the screen size.

Good place to take a look is Best Buy and www.futureshop.ca first, they will be the most likely places to find a mark down. At those places your also taken care of as well, if you do go with a set, you have the month to think about it. Just opinions to give you ideas and help set a goal path.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ben_m
Anyway, this summer I'll probably earn around $2500 for spending on my home theatre. $500 of that will already be going for a pair of mini monitor paradigm speakers.

So anyway.. I'm looking at purchasing a TV for about $2000 Canadian (so.. I guess anything around $1400 American). I'll probably have a tiny bit of flexibility in terms of price.. not much though.

Here's what I definitely want:

- Widescreen

- High Definition

I'll mostly be using this for DVD, and cable television. (Hopefully digital.. but still standard 4:3 NTSC)

Ben
Ben:

I own a 47" widescreen Samsung Tantus. All set up it has (had?) an amazing picture, better than many others I've looked at. It has a great array of inputs too. This week a circuit went inside so I was glad to have the 3 yr Samsung warranty.

Not everything is great on it but I'm pretty picky. I didn't care for the remote and its navigation joystick. I had to get a cinema series and program it myself for better results.

The picture is mainly flawless on the Samsung but it doesn't seem to be great from all angles at least in comparison to some other brands I've owned or tested. If you are in the sweet cone it looks great though.

The PIP on the 47" Tantus is not as good as what's on the 42" (4 modes vs 13) though the sound and projector guns are said to be better on the 47. The 47" has a wheeled base compared with the stationary 42". Many of the 42" were known to have faulty power supply.

I've seen the 47 Tantus at Visions for about $2500 and most recently a 4:3 Samsung for $1999 at the same place. The 4:3 looked (in the showroom) to have same picture quality as the 47" WS but had what I thought was a smarter looking case (4:3 charcoal vs shiny silver WS) $1999 CDN for an HDTV with Samsung's picture quality is something to be considered.

I can offer some additional information for you...

- although I usually never fear to order online, with a 250-300 lb RPTV you are well advised to see if you can find a local dealer and make sure your warranty and service are absolutely 100% airtight.

- I too felt I wanted WS but so far have realized 4:3 is still predominant. Even the WS television shows are usually letterboxed and a WS DVD on the 47" 4:3 set would still give a nice wide picture with non-distracting black bars top and bottom. On my WS I find there are only two choices for the many many 4:3 sources out there - "panoramic mode" or "normal" Normal puts some rather distracting grey bars on the left & right. Panoramic keeps the center of the image in correct aspect but stretches out the L & R sides of the image. The effect is kind of like looking out of a fishbowl, especially when the image is panning. I've gotten used to it but guests find it wild too look at, and not in a good way. Long story short:

- WS 16x9 set - great for WS sources, bad for 4:3

- 4:3 set - great for 4:3, OK for WS

- Make sure you really want the big picture of an RPTV. It's my belief they are more "fragile" and problem prone than direct view. But for the same money, I would still pick RPTV. For me, seeing even a 34" ws directview these days it looks so 'tiny'.

- Don't get a set too big for your space. I did once and it was just foolish to see it dominate the room.

- A comment regarding the $500 speakers. I appreciate good speakers, and I'm all in favor of Canadian speakers too. But I would instead suggest you consider the Polk satellites as having 99% the sound of the Paradigm but half the price. The money saved would buy a nice little sub for your setup.

- You say High Definition is a must but that you will be using cable television source and not necessarily digital either. So HD is not really a must for you then. Around here HD is only available with a premium digital subscription and purchase of a $500 converter box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.