Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Please excuse me if this has been asked before, but I've searched & all of the topics assume that you actually know something about D-Theater. I'm a newbie over here, coming over from the HTPC forum & I keep seeing the term D-Theater. Can someone out there explain this to me? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or condescending about this, I'm really just curious about the format. I'm looking at it from this viewpoint: I put together an HTPC last year, & am now happily viewing my DVDs at 1920x1080i resolution & I've gotta say that the PQ & color depth easily rivals that of the HD content that I also get. I mean, it absolutely kicks my progressive-scan STB DVD player to the curb, it's that much better. I've seen a little on D-Theater & how the PQ is supposed to be better than standard DVD, but I'm curious about a number of things:

How much better is the PQ over a standard progressive-scan DVD player at 480p?

Is sound quality any better or worse?

How much do the players typically cost?

How much do the movie titles typically cost?

How good is the variety of movie titles available?

How is the player hooked up? (I would assume a minimum of component hookups would be required.)

Any other pros/cons?

I don't want to offend anyone in posting this. I'm not looking to go out & buy a D-Theater player, I'd just like to be a little better informed so that if the topic comes up, I actually know something about it!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
maybe the JVC D-VHS owners want to keep it to themselves in this conspiracy. They know its the best but are hedging on Blu-ray:rolleyes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tracie,

the picture is far far better,you would need to hook up via the component output, the sound is better(it's not compressed) a machine can be got for about $500-600 for the 40k version that will output dts.

about 50 or so films available.

i live in england and got this over from the states as we don't have any hi def. best thing i have ever got, av wise

hope this helps

kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.