AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing quite a bit of reading/searching the past few days on speakers, and this is the general direction I've come up with, tell me if I'm headed down the wrong path.

Equipment Setup;

Denon 1908 AVR

PS3

Pioneer 400V SD DVD

Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC DVR

HDMI on PS3 and DVR to the AVR

Optical on Pioneer 400V

Room Setup;

~13'x20'

hardwood floors, but has a 5x8 rug and two full size couches

brick fireplace

wood paneling walls

TV on the far wall. seating distance would be between 5ft and 19ft.

prefer to be able to set front L/R on my AV cabinet, which doesn't have much room on either side of the TV, so narrow fronts are a priority.

Usage;

TV/Movie/Games ~75%

Music ~25%

Budget;

· Registered
194 Posts
i would say that the strategy that you have is sound. I recently went through the same type of upgrade with a smaller budget. I would recommend spending as much as you can on fronts first of all. They are the foundation of your system. I would skip the sub completely at this time if you want to have a good all around system. You will need at least $275ish to get a quality sub that will perform at a high level. the cheaper surrounds is a smart move as well since they have lighter duty compared to the fronts. dont forget about the refurb market on ebay for polk and infinity for the surrounds.

That being said i recently upgraded to a pair of Polk RTi A3's and CSiA4 center ($320 total). They are connected to a HK 254 and i am looking to get a sub now. The surrounds will come when i get the upgrade bug again an d i will prob go cheap at best buy or some refurbs.

· Registered
207 Posts
I would skip the rears and sub for now and buy the best fronts/center/AVR you can with your budget. Then save up for the sub and rears you want. I watched movies for a long time using a 3.0 setup and it's not that bad. It will be worth it in the end, I promise.

I would also consider buying used to get better equipment. Check out Audiogon.

· Registered
5,454 Posts
go for a 3.1 setup and use just about any leftover speakers for the two surrounds. Movie surround audio tracks just don't require high end surrounds for the "effects" audio.

Polk Monitor 50's and a matching center from Newegg.com or Polk Direct on the "bay of E"

for the sub, try Velodyne, BIC, or a smaller Elemental Design (eD) sub.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290014

· Registered
152 Posts
I would spend more on speakers and cut back on the equipment if I were you. If you're a movie/games buff, you're going to probably want a sub. Also, unless I am mistaken, why not use the PS3 as your movie player since it can upconvert as well? $500 for decent speakers is tough in a 5.x setup, imo. Consider 2 (or 3).1 and fill in the surrounds later?

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't want to spend $500 on a 3.1, but i will for a 5.0.

I'm completely open to refurb from the polkdirect or harmaudio store, even on the fronts. i can't do monitor 50s, because i don't have room for floor speakers. i am considering the monitor 30s.

· Registered
528 Posts

· The Village Idiot
9,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnord /forum/post/15415894

i don't want to spend $500 on a 3.1, but i will for a 5.0.

I'm completely open to refurb from the polkdirect or harmaudio store, even on the fronts. i can't do monitor 50s, because i don't have room for floor speakers. i am considering the monitor 30s.

Then get 5 of the Infinity Beta 20s or 5 of the Infinity Primus 162/152 speakers.

Or 5 of the Monitor 30s. Any of those 3 can be had for well under $500 leaving room for a cheap sub. The Dayton Sub-100 ain't bad for what it is, small.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-633

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bringing this back up because i finally got pictures of my setup that shows just how little room i have to work with. just off to the right of the TV is the door that goes to the patio, and it swigs open to within 1/2'' of the stand.

is there anything decent out there that could sit on the stand, or am i going to be forced into wall mounts?

· Registered
4,029 Posts
You've gotta slide hat stand over to the right a few inches to allow for speaker placement on either side. Placing them on the stand isn't going to allow for any spacial imaging at all, they're just too close IMO. Just a couple of inches for some narrow floorstanders that'll give you the bass extension you need in leu of a sub (temporarily i hope).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_5_1_4_.html

These are only 7.5" wide so you should be able to fit them if you just slide the stand over a bit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

This center should fit inside the cabinet with another shelf added above the cable box.

This center would perform much better, mounted on top of the stand and the TV wall mounted. The speaker will hide the wiring for the TV. Wall mounts are cheap enough these days.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_5_1_4_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._2_Way_4_.html

A pair of these will cover surround duties.

With the better center channel (which i strongly advise)this system will set you back $550.00. A little over your budget but fits your needs and the Primus series are impressive for the price.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i can't move the stand over any farther. just off the picture to the right, on the connecting wall is the door that goes to the patio. when i open that door, it comes within 1/2'' of the stand. the center can go in the stand directly under the TV. i'll just move the PS3 behind the door on the left along with the receiver, then move the cable box down to the bottom middle area.

i know my setup is not ideal accoustically, but it's what i have to deal with at this time. thanks for the suggestions on the infinity, and the links, it's an option i'm considering.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm not TOTALLY opposed, but i would prefer not to.

will i get much better imaging if i wall mount?

will my TV be affected with the speakers basically right up against it (even with magnetic shielding)?

will wall mounting result in any added vibrations?

any other reason i really should/should not find speakers that are

· Registered
1,342 Posts
It's best to have your speakers' height set to ear level at your seated position. Looks like they might be a little low if they were just sitting on top of your TV stand.

Unless your TV is a CRT, magnetic shielding is not required. There will be no interference.

The omnimounts are very sturdy, there will be no vibrations with them as long as your wall is sturdy and you mount them to a stud. I use them for my surrounds (which happen to be HTM-200SE's).

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it will be very close to ear level on top of the stand. i had the stand built to my specifications, and the center of the TV is set at exactly eye level when sitting on the couches. so the speakers should only end up a couple inches low.

· Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnord /forum/post/15472204

i can't move the stand over any farther. just off the picture to the right, on the connecting wall is the door that goes to the patio. when i open that door, it comes within 1/2'' of the stand. the center can go in the stand directly under the TV. i'll just move the PS3 behind the door on the left along with the receiver, then move the cable box down to the bottom middle area.

i know my setup is not ideal accoustically, but it's what i have to deal with at this time. thanks for the suggestions on the infinity, and the links, it's an option i'm considering.

Hate to say it, but this could be a sound bar scenario. Other than that, I think wall-mounting your fronts is the best option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.