AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a LG 50PS60 in March 09. I have a PS3. So I understand that since the tv has HDMI 1.3 I can do at least some type 3D? Granted I also need the glasses and 3D movie/game.

P.S. Is the different versions of HDMI a software thing or a hardware thing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentkhack /forum/post/18285646

I purchased a LG 50PS60 in March 09. I have a PS3. So I understand that since the tv has HDMI 1.3 I can do at least some type 3D? Granted I also need the glasses and 3D movie/game.

P.S. Is the different versions of HDMI a software thing or a hardware thing?

Thanks.

It's more a hardware thing: your set needs to be able to handle the special 3D signal (frame sequential) that the PS3 will put out (after the upcoming 3D PS3 upgrade), and it will need to synchronize external glasses. Also the TV will need to operate at a higher refresh rate than your set has.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that my tv does 600Hz. Now I have read that this is all marketing B.S. but wouldn't that be enough compared to the 60Hz, 120Hz, or 240Hz that LCD's do now? Thxs.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentkhack /forum/post/18286284

I see that my tv does 600Hz. Now I have read that this is all marketing B.S. but wouldn't that be enough compared to the 60Hz, 120Hz, or 240Hz that LCD's do now? Thxs.

That 600Hz is the Sub Field Drive. You need a special 3DTV that is designed specifically for the new 3D formats like the ones from Panasonic (PDP) and Samsung (LCD).

The only 3D Ready HDTV's in the field today are the DLP RPTV HDTVs by Mits and Samsung and a few 720P Samsung PDP's.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentkhack /forum/post/18286284

It's a bit of marketing BS. the 600Hz is "sub-field drive", which is not the same as the refresh rate. The problem is that plasmas can not do dark shades PERIOD. The gas in each cell needs to be ionized (thats the "plasma" part of it) in order to excite the phosphers to make light. The level that it takes to ionize the gas is rather high so the light emitted is high. In order to produce darker shades than that, the gas is only ionized for a short period of time. The drive for this is the "sub-field" drive used to be 480Hz, but now commonly is 600Hz.

The following Panasonic link sort-of describes sub-field drive (the marketing spin version) for an older (480Hz) set.

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audi...sma/viera2.asp

The marketing BS part of this is that they show an illustration of a horse jumping a fence with the horse in different positions for each "sub-field". That is totally incorrect - it is the exact same frame for each field. What would be different is WHICH pixels are lit on each sub-field. The lighter ones would be on all the time, the dimmer ones would only be on for a fewer sub-fields.

BTW: This technology is patented by Panasonic, but has been licensed to many competitors recently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts