AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Taaj has no idea what he is talking about. An optical output on a Realtek or any other card or built in chipset would output a fully digital stream (it could hardly be anything else...) with the same resolution as any other card. The only possible differences are jitter, which are probably too low in level to worry about, and resolution, meaning some cards might support 24/96 output and others only 16/44 or 16/48.

From what I can tell based on the original question, there shouldn't be a need to add an additional soundcard.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thank you really. I have learned alot from this forum and I was using what I thought. I shouldnt second guess my self. Hell I dont do it with salesmen why should I do it with someone on the internet:) Thanks again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I can't remember the last time I used the word ' INEPT ' but that response by Taaj was pretty much that way..lol..

Mark

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'll add one thing to that argument, re: coax vs optical...I was using a soundcard with a coax output. For some reason (I think it's the wool fabric on my couch), there seems to be a ton of static electricity in my room. I used to get shocked alot. Whenever I would touch ANYTHING and produce a static electric shock(when I say anything, it could be the door, a light switch, etc), , the coaxial signal would drop out for a moment. Very wierd, and very irritating. I pulled out my multimeter and checked the grounding in all of my outlets and all of my components and the whole nine yards, couldn't quite figure it out. I went out and spent some money on a decent line conditioner (monster power HT5100). The wierd static electricity problem didn't quite go away, but it got much better. I still had a problem with the audio dropping out momentarily on occasion though. I then got a soundcard with an optical output, and never had another dropout at all. I don't know if this would really ever be a differentiating factor for anyone else, my static electricity problem is probably a highly isolated incident. But it's worth noting that a coaxial digital bitstream is much more sensitive to outside influences (i.e. RF interference, etc) than optical is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.