AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the promise module is here. Now why would I want it? I don't really understand what the reason for needing it is? It sounds to me like it only has one component input and that the three component inputs on the tv will not work anymore. That is not an upgrade. Anyway what does $1000.00 do to my viewing experience?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Assuming that you have a Mitsubishi upgradeable HDTV, the PM would give you:

1. An ATSC OTA tuner to tune in local over the air HD channels

2. A QAM tuner to tune in unencrypted cable HD channels

3. A Firewire/DTCP connection to connect to Firewire-based devices (e.g., D-VHS, D-Theater deck, etc.)

4. HAVi functionality for controlling HAVi-capable Firewire devices

5. Replacement analog inputs for any inputs it "eats" when installed (so your concern in this area is moot)

If you don't care about Firewire (which is a secure, compressed digital interface), then points #1 or #2 may not be enough to light your fire...you can buy an OTA HD STB for a lot less than $1000, and if you can receive cable HD, your cable provider will likely rent you a subsidized HD STB that can handled unencrypted *and* encrypted HD signals.

That said, the real selling point is the Firewire interface--it allows you to connect Firewire devices to your PM'd TV, meaning that you have an "all digital" pathway for signals. For example, if you can receive OTA HD signals in your area, a PM connected to your Mits TV and a D-VHS deck would allow you to record/timeshift HD programs. Same with cable HD, but only for "in the clear" unencrypted signals--you'd still need your cable company's HD STB to view HBO HD, Showtime HD, etc. As of right now, DirecTV doesn't support Firewire (that has been rumored to change, but no official word), but Dish is debuting a HAVi-capable Firewire-based STB (the Dish 211, rumored to be around $300 and to debut late summer) that would mesh very nicely with the PM.

If you're in the market for a PM, be aware that Mitsubishi appears to have recently changed it's PM philosophy--they are now supporting DVI/HDCP (they call it MonitorLink) on their new HDTVs, and they have announced that the orignal HD-5000 box (which was originally desgned as a companion box to their 5010 plasma TV) has now been morphed into what they are calling the Promise Module 2. Unlike the original PM, which bolted onto the back of the TV, the HD-5000 is a stand-alone HD STB that can be used with non-Mitsubishi HDTVs (using component or DVI/HDCP display pathways).

There is a HUGE thread here on this forum discussing the pros/cons of the PM, as well as detailing the install process and user feedback.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for the time you spent typeing that response. I already have the RCA DTC-100 so I wasn't sure if there was a "must have" feature of the promise module. It sounds like it is more necessary for future applications. I am eagerly anticipating the HDTV capable Tivo if it really comes out. Depending on it's output I suppose that might dictate how necessary the PM will be. Thanks again.

P.S. Some of the HUGE threads get off topic so much it's like reading a novel so I decided to just ask what makes it so important.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks for the time you spent typeing that response. I already have the RCA DTC-100 so I wasn't sure if there was a "must have" feature of the promise module. It sounds like it is more necessary for future applications. I am eagerly anticipating the HDTV capable Tivo if it really comes out. Depending on it's output I suppose that might dictate how necessary the PM will be. Thanks again.

P.S. Some of the HUGE threads get off topic so much it's like reading a novel so I decided to just ask what makes it so important.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
One other reason for purchasing the PM would be, if your bank account is too heavy, and you want to reduce it by about $1000, this is a good way. Sorry,couldn't resist being cynical. In my case, I sleep during primetime programming, so this is the only way I can time-shift HD programming in true HD. It works for me.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have played back digital video from my SONY MicroMV HandyCam Camcorder. It looks great on my WS-55805. The Promise Module recognizes my camcorder and the TV remote plays the tape. However, you can not transfer video from the MicroMV tape to digital VHS on the Mitsubishi HD digital VCR.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Benji
One other reason for purchasing the PM would be, if your bank account is too heavy, and you want to reduce it by about $1000, this is a good way. Sorry,couldn't resist being cynical. In my case, I sleep during primetime programming, so this is the only way I can time-shift HD programming in true HD. It works for me.

How do you time shift with the PM?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
The PM provides an OTA digital tuner and has Firewire output. So you connect it to a D-VHS recorder for timeshifting.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flapbreaker
I already have the RCA DTC-100 so I wasn't sure if there was a "must have" feature of the promise module....I am eagerly anticipating the HDTV capable Tivo if it really comes out. Depending on it's output I suppose that might dictate how necessary the PM will be.
FWIW, the HD DirecTiVo (as reported) will not support Firewire, so it would be of little use with a PM--and the PM2 (as reported) doesn't support a DVI/HDCP input, so the PM2 would be of little use with a HD DirecTiVo. The biggest incentive to "go for it" would be if you wanted to switch to Dish once the 211 came out...the original PM, plus a 211, plus a D-VHS would let you timeshift OTA HD *and* satellite HD (unless the show was flagged Copy Never).

As an aside, if timeshifting is a big issue for you and you can't wait for the HD DirecTiVo, take a look at www.169time.com . They offer a RCA DTC-100 firewire upgrade that allows you to record both OTA HD and DirecTV HD using a D-VHS deck. It's not cheap, it has some issues, but it's available now and the lastest software upgrades seem to have made it stable. There's a lot of threads on it in the HDTV Recorder forum here.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flapbreaker
Thanks for the info Alex. I will look into the 169time option.

In my opinion, there isn't enough HD programming to justify the expense of HD hardware. Even the PM, at $1,000 is too high and that only gives you OTA HD programs, you would still need a satellite receiver and dish to receive HD programs like HD HBO and HD Showtime, which is another $500 dollars. At this time, it just not worth it, its better to wait for your local cable to offer HD to you, that way you will only be renting the box. You don't need DVI or Firewire to see HD programing, components outputs work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.