AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
after I received my first CLR screen a few days ago and was asked for a short first impression by some users, I wanted to post a short review here to make the decision-making process a little easier for others. Due to the amount of offers from different manufacturers, it is not easy to choose a certain screen.

After reading through many reviews, I ended up with a screen from Telon with a size of 110". I chose BSP or CBSP as the material, but I decided on CBSP because of its better contrast ratio in ambient light. However, the material is also a little more expensive.

The ordering process went completely smoothly. After shipping, the screen arrived in Vienna after four days.
For an international shipment, I was surprised how quickly it went. Unfortunately, customs took a very long time with the clearance, which is why another week was added.
The package was neatly packed and arrived undamaged. The individual components of the canvas were also decently packed, so you don't have to worry about the contents of the package.

After unpacking, the first thing to do was to assemble the aluminium frame, which made a very solid impression. It is held together by a few metal pieces with screws.

Afterwards, the actual film must be rolled out (preferably on a soft surface on which the protective film can lie. This prevents scratches on the canvas). I put some bed linen underneath to protect it.
After that, the most tedious part of the assembly begins, namely attaching the springs that keep the canvas 100% taut. After the first few springs, another metal rod is inserted in the middle of the canvas to stabilise it.

The result at the end was then a beautiful CLR screen. The outer black frame is put on and screwed at the end and has a velvet cover, which gives the whole thing an even more valuable impression than plastic. So far I like the canvas quite a lot. As you can already see, it absorbs ambient light very well.

First of all, a few notes on the room in which the canvas is hanging, in order to be able to classify the strength of the ambient light under which the photos were taken. The canvas hangs in a room of a typical Viennese old building. This means high windows (approx. 2m) with a high room height through which a lot of daylight falls.

Here is a before and after comparison of the picture with and without the canvas. The difference is enormous. Afterwards I took some more photos to have a comparison with different ambient light variations. Even in bright daylight with overhead lighting, films with many dark scenes can now be watched, even if the colours fade somewhat, of course. That was completely unthinkable without a screen.

To get a better idea of the ability to absorb ambient light, I have taken four different photos of each with different ambient light. The first is in full daylight with ceiling lighting. The second is with a closed curtain with overhead lighting (here you can see the contrast increasing quite a bit and this is the condition I will watch most films in). The third photo was taken with the curtains completely closed and the ceiling light on, and the fourth photo with the ceiling light switched off, but with residual light from the curtains. As you can see, the contrast is really impressive and you get the impression of real black. For someone who likes to watch films in rooms that are not completely darkened, this is ideal.
So hopefully that is helping with your decision.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello everyone,
after I received my first CLR screen a few days ago and was asked for a short first impression by some users, I wanted to post a short review here to make the decision-making process a little easier for others. Due to the amount of offers from different manufacturers, it is not easy to choose a certain screen.

After reading through many reviews, I ended up with a screen from Telon with a size of 110". I chose BSP or CBSP as the material, but I decided on CBSP because of its better contrast ratio in ambient light. However, the material is also a little more expensive.

View attachment 3115088 The ordering process went completely smoothly. After shipping, the screen arrived in Vienna after four days. View attachment 3115085 For an international shipment, I was surprised how quickly it went. Unfortunately, customs took a very long time with the clearance, which is why another week was added.
The package was neatly packed and arrived undamaged. The individual components of the canvas were also decently packed, so you don't have to worry about the contents of the package.

View attachment 3115089 View attachment 3115090 After unpacking, the first thing to do was to assemble the aluminium frame, which made a very solid impression. It is held together by a few metal pieces with screws.

View attachment 3115092 View attachment 3115091 Afterwards, the actual film must be rolled out (preferably on a soft surface on which the protective film can lie. This prevents scratches on the canvas). I put some bed linen underneath to protect it.
After that, the most tedious part of the assembly begins, namely attaching the springs that keep the canvas 100% taut. After the first few springs, another metal rod is inserted in the middle of the canvas to stabilise it.

The result at the end was then a beautiful CLR screen. The outer black frame is put on and screwed at the end and has a velvet cover, which gives the whole thing an even more valuable impression than plastic. So far I like the canvas quite a lot. As you can already see, it absorbs ambient light very well.

First of all, a few notes on the room in which the canvas is hanging, in order to be able to classify the strength of the ambient light under which the photos were taken. The canvas hangs in a room of a typical Viennese old building. This means high windows (approx. 2m) with a high room height through which a lot of daylight falls.

View attachment 3115095 View attachment 3115096 Here is a before and after comparison of the picture with and without the canvas. The difference is enormous. Afterwards I took some more photos to have a comparison with different ambient light variations. Even in bright daylight with overhead lighting, films with many dark scenes can now be watched, even if the colours fade somewhat, of course. That was completely unthinkable without a screen.

To get a better idea of the ability to absorb ambient light, I have taken four different photos of each with different ambient light. The first is in full daylight with ceiling lighting. The second is with a closed curtain with overhead lighting (here you can see the contrast increasing quite a bit and this is the condition I will watch most films in). The third photo was taken with the curtains completely closed and the ceiling light on, and the fourth photo with the ceiling light switched off, but with residual light from the curtains. As you can see, the contrast is really impressive and you get the impression of real black. For someone who likes to watch films in rooms that are not completely darkened, this is ideal.

View attachment 3115097 View attachment 3115098 View attachment 3115099 View attachment 3115100 View attachment 3115110 View attachment 3115109
Thank
Hello everyone,

View attachment 3115088 The ordering process went completely smoothly. After shipping, the screen arrived in Vienna after four days. View attachment 3115085 For an international shipment, I was surprised how quickly it went. Unfortunately, customs took a very long time with the clearance, which is why another week was added.

View attachment 3115089 View attachment 3115090 After unpacking, the first thing to do was to assemble the aluminium frame, which made a very solid impression. It is held together by a few metal pieces with screws.

View attachment 3115092 View attachment 3115091 Afterwards, the actual film must be rolled out (preferably on a soft surface on which the protective film can lie. This prevents scratches on the canvas). I put some bed linen underneath to protect it.

View attachment 3115095 View attachment 3115096 Here is a before and after comparison of the picture with and without the canvas. The difference is enormous. Afterwards I took some more photos to have a comparison with different ambient light variations. Even in bright daylight with overhead lighting, films with many dark scenes can now be watched, even if the colours fade somewhat, of course. That was completely unthinkable without a screen.

View attachment 3115097 View attachment 3115098 View attachment 3115099 View attachment 3115100 View attachment 3115110 View attachment 3115109
Thank you for this, I'll be installing mine in a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully the screen will arrive well. Have fun setting it up and getting it ready!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts