AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any suggestions anyone might have for a temporary audio solution on our 2010 Mac Mini HTPC. We're in the process of selling our house, so I need to keep the expense and wires/clutter to a minimum for now.

I'm currently running the Mini's HDMI out into our Panasonic Plasma, then the analog stereo out from the TV into an old HK stereo only non-digital receiver which drives a pair of JBL S38s. Both the speaker and the receiver are hidden inside the cabinet of a 60s HiFi console that the TV and mini sit on keeping the whole thing very clean. I'm generally happy with how this sounds, except the dialog often gets buried on surround encoded material. I do use the TVs speakers to supplement the stereo, and while more centered it doesn't help a while lot with the dialog. I'd like to figure out a way to add a slim soundbar like speaker with the center channel audio to this setup (still using the HK/JBLs for the L&R channels), hopefully for

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
It would be very difficult to match a soundbar to your current speakers and amplifier. Sounds like you need amplified center channel, and most powered soundbars are going to be minimally 2.1 to 5.1 without an option for monaural. Yamaha YSP's do have a monaural option, but it still would not be center channel but a combined single channel output of however many channels you have for input.

You should probably try a soundbar like the Sony CT-150 or JVC-TH-BA1 on its own with the internal speakers from your TV turned off and without the current amplication chain to see if you prefer this type of sound. An even less expensive solution would be last years Vizio VSB200 available at WalMart for about $90. All three of these options would give you better voice than your current setup and probably equal in dynamics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts