AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any experience with using simple white matte foam board usually found in artists' supply stores?

It's about 1/4" thick, sturdy, got a smooth surface, lightweight enough to mount with velcro strips, easy to handle and an 80"X 50" piece of it comes in at just under $13 around here. Smaller pieces of the stuff in black could work ok as masking panels (especially if the pertinant sections of it were dressed in glued-on black velvet remnants).

Saw it at my local artists' supply store and, to this untrained eye, it looked like something that might work fine as a temporary DIY solution until the final trials on projectors/throw distances/aspect ratios/wall position get ironed out. Maybe even more than only temporary..?

Anyone got an immediate deal killer on this idea for any reason? I ask because I've read much about Parkland Plastic being used for this purpose but not this far more available and cheaper product/material.

Hitchfan

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did use the board for a while. The only thing that you would need is a frame, else the board will curl, especially with the warm weather and humidity.

I built the frame and glued the board on with paper glue. It worked pretty well for me, very flat. You may want to paint with some kind of flat white paint if it's not already white.

Later on, if you like the frame and want a real screen, you can just buy the raw screen material (firehawk in my case) and cover the board with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The foamboard is "far more available" than Parkland Plastics?

I have not been able to find it in large sizes... Where should I go? Hobby Lobby doesn't have it...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen it most recently in large quantities of different sizes at The Art Store on Raymond Ave. in Pasadena, California, although I know I've seen it in other art supply stores around the L.A. area.

My conclusion about it being far more available than Parkland Plastic was only based on the fact that I had to do a google search for Parkland Plastics and didn't find much except that you may find it only at some Home Depot stores.

So, it may turn out that it's a lot more available to me as there just happen to be a lot of art supply stores in this area. 1/4" think foam board just seemed like a standard product carried by the kind of art supply store that sells drafting tables, canvas frames, poster board and the like.

Hitchfan

·
Registered
47 Posts
I posted a few pictures of my finished screen a few days ago. I used Gator Board which is very similar to what you are referring to. The only difference is gator board/gator foam, is a little stiffer and stronger than the regular foam core stuff. It is very light, easy to work with. I got it at a local place in Atlanta, had them cut it to size, painted it with the Goo systems paint, and made a frame and hung it on the wall. If you look for my previous post, you will see how it turned out.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wterry, your set-up looks great. Just what I have envisoined for myself; clean, no/low-frills, gobs of black surrounding a fixed screen letting the projected image get all the focus. Your wife's idea to curtain it off in a more decorative way when not in use is the ticket, too, in my opinion, especially if that section of wall is in a multi-use room, as mine would be, and not a dedicated theater room.

I'm not familiar with the term 'gator' foam but I assume it would be available somewhere in the SoCal area. Art supplies? Building supplies?

One question that arises for me is that you said that you're very pleased with the image you get on this material with your HS10, an LCD projector, and I'm wondering if one would get the same results with a DLP projector.

I haven't settled on either one just yet. My projector decision, assuming an impressive, no/low screen-door/pixel structure PQ (which I feel can definitely be had with either choice) will depend on other practical criteria; short throw distance (I'll want to acheive a 92" 16X9 diagonal in a room only 12.5' across wall-to-wall), very quiet fan, long lamp life and DVI-HDCP input.

Have you or anyone else seen the PQ of DLP projected on gator board?

Thanks. Hitchfan

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would imagine the picture quality would be quite good. The gator board will not determine the picture quality as much as what you paint it with. If you use the same Goo Painting system that I used, you should get incredible results.

The reason I went with the gator board is because that was the product that Goo systems recommended (well one of them). I orginally bought a piece of MDF board, but realized that it would be way to heavy to mount on the wall with out some serious effort. I believe my gator board at full size which was like 4' x 8' or something like that, weighed in at 9lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.