AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony KDL-52W3000 (52" LCD) purchased in U.S. March 2008.

Generally love this LCD. Had it for almost 2 yrs. But at just over a year old, it developed a problem. When its been off for a while (like overnight), there is a ghost image on the left side of the screen that is enlarged and vertically misaligned below the proper image. The problem is mostly on the left side of the screen. After about 15-30 minutes the problem goes away. The problem occurs consistently (on cold start) and with any video source. Sony tech support suggested that I connect it directly to the outlet (not through a surge protector), which I did with no luck. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this a servicable problem? Is it the "optical block"

Here is a pic of a cartoon showing the problem: http://i48.tinypic.com/99nwbl.jpg Notice the horizontal lines, and the enlarged shadow image of Goofy's eyes directly below the proper image. The right side of the image is much better - almost normal, except for the horizontal lines.

Here is a pic of a test pattern showing the problem: http://i50.tinypic.com/296kpie.jpg Again, the right side looks ok, but on the left side, there is a shadow image enlarged and below the proper image.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
strange problem, mainly because it goes away after awhile, its no doubt defective but its kinda hard to say if that is the LCD/TCON board on the screen or if its the main board, i'm going to lean twords it being the TCON board on the screen but what is really odd is how it goes from left to right, most LCD's controller boards (TCON) are mounted on the top edge of the screen and problems with the board will cause vertical lines not horizontal lines, either way though looks to me like the controller IC's on that board are malfunctioning when cold and causing the problem, its just a guess, only fix is a new LCD screen if that is the case (that board is integrated into the LCD screen it is not removeable from it)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem (exactly) that you have. Called tech support and they basically said the same thing. No power strip and reset the tv using the remote. Cant do either til the tv cools down. Any success on finding out of fixing the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the exact same problem. The place I bought the TV from is out of business and an insurance company took over the extended warranty support. I'm not having any luck getting support so far. If there is any type of DIY fix here, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We are having the exact same problem, too. Just noticed it for the first time last week (mid-December 2009). We bought the TV in May 2008.

The OP's photos depict exactly what happens with ours upon a 'cold' start (powered off for 8 hours or more). The only difference is ours seems to correct itself after about 2-3 minutes.

We have a 4 year extended warranty, and I was planning on calling Sony Care on Monday morning, but I am not sure how they can really correct this problem when it corrects itself after a few minutes. How can you properly diagnose and correct a problem that doesn't last?

Of course, I wouldn't feel satisfied having a $3000 TV and a $400 service plan and having a tech tell me to 'plug the TV directly into the socket' or 're-set the TV...that should fix it'. That's all b.s. and we know it. These panels are obviously faulty and need to be fixed or replaced.

If anyone has any advice or additional info, let me know. I will post anything I find out on Monday.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually, my hubby tells me he thinks our lines were vertical, not horizontal. I'll check again in the AM and take a photo and post it.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee99 /forum/post/17790531

but I am not sure how they can really correct this problem when it corrects itself after a few minutes. How can you properly diagnose and correct a problem that doesn't last?

It is fair easy. The tech will use a spray which freezes components/brings their temp down until they fail. Sometimes this technique does not work but that is rare. In those situations they will likely swap out a component at a time until the problem goes away. So do call them.

Quote:
Of course, I wouldn't feel satisfied having a $3000 TV and a $400 service plan and having a tech tell me to 'plug the TV directly into the socket' or 're-set the TV...that should fix it'. That's all b.s. and we know it. These panels are obviously faulty and need to be fixed or replaced.

Indeed that is BS. But do it anyway so that excuse is out of the way.

FYI, the best forum to search for Sony problems (and possible fixes) is agoraquest.com. Just did a quick search on "LCD and ghosting" and it popped up the following: http://www.agoraquest.com/searchbb.php

Use their google search by the way. Their normal search is not as effective.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
I am glad you found the right info there. I have never seen such a comprehensive site devoted to a brand with such useful information when problems arise. Makes you want to buy a Sony TV for that reason alone, the recall notwithstanding

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I checked our TV again the past few mornings. The ghost image on the left and the lines didn't happen again until this morning. Not sure why the problem didn't appear the last two mornings? Maybe the TV wasn't turned off long enough to cool down? Maybe the house was warmer than normal? Who knows...

Anyway, the lines are indeed HORIZONTAL like everyone elses - not vertical like the recall depicts. I took a photo, but it's hard to notice the lines. I will upload the photo a little later. I will be calling Sony this afternoon, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a tech at Futureshop downtown Toronto and also bought one of these.

The units we recieved back were confirmed that the problem is attached directly to the LCD (Control board).

Sony has directed Best Buy and Circuit City and other "American" vendors to accept these as a recall item. We have not recieved these direct mandates here in Canada yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same problem too. I bought TV from a&b sound, with extended 5 year warranty through Walker Group. Since a&b does not exist anymore, insurer does not reply to any of the correspondence. If someone comes to know of the solution for this TV problem, please post. Pluging directly to wall outlet does not solve anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To Munda26:

RE:"bought TV from A&B Sound, with extended 5 year warranty through Walker Group. Since a&b does not exist anymore, insurer does not reply to any of the correspondence. "

I bought an SXRD from A&B in Victoria BC with warranty held by Walker Group. TV now has problems. Have written twice. No reply. About to write the 3rd time. The address is to a PO Box. Do you or anyone have better contact info - address/phone #/names?

I know this is off topic - maybe there should be a Warranty/Walker Group/A&B Sound thread? (Or if there is, please point me there!)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRat /forum/post/18231614

To Munda26:

RE:"bought TV from A&B Sound, with extended 5 year warranty through Walker Group. Since a&b does not exist anymore, insurer does not reply to any of the correspondence. "

I bought an SXRD from A&B in Victoria BC with warranty held by Walker Group. TV now has problems. Have written twice. No reply. About to write the 3rd time. The address is to a PO Box. Do you or anyone have better contact info - address/phone #/names?

I know this is off topic - maybe there should be a Warranty/Walker Group/A&B Sound thread? (Or if there is, please point me there!)

Thanks.

Here is the address.

1455 Bellevue Ave, Unit 300

West Vancouver BC, V7T 1C3

Phone #: 604-922-6563

Fax #: 604-926-5668

They refused to honour the warranty saying A&B sold me wrong coverage. However they refunded my paid premium. Very hard to contact them and get a reply as they deal via email only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forum and have a 52W3000 and am concerned about the recall. Is Sony offering to pay for the repair the Sony KDL-52W3000 for the vertical lines issues or are they offering the option to purchase replacements at a discounted price? If they are offering replacements, what tv options did they offer.

Thanks.

Lainy

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those of us that dont have a extended warranty and have own this since it first came out are we just screwed. What are our options? $3000 and did not make it 2 years WOW.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzS /forum/post/17568808

Sony KDL-52W3000 (52" LCD) purchased in U.S. March 2008.

Generally love this LCD. Had it for almost 2 yrs. But at just over a year old, it developed a problem. When its been off for a while (like overnight), there is a ghost image on the left side of the screen that is enlarged and vertically misaligned below the proper image. The problem is mostly on the left side of the screen. After about 15-30 minutes the problem goes away. The problem occurs consistently (on cold start) and with any video source. Sony tech support suggested that I connect it directly to the outlet (not through a surge protector), which I did with no luck. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this a servicable problem? Is it the "optical block"

Here is a pic of a cartoon showing the problem: http://i48.tinypic.com/99nwbl.jpg Notice the horizontal lines, and the enlarged shadow image of Goofy's eyes directly below the proper image. The right side of the image is much better - almost normal, except for the horizontal lines.

Here is a pic of a test pattern showing the problem: http://i50.tinypic.com/296kpie.jpg Again, the right side looks ok, but on the left side, there is a shadow image enlarged and below the proper image.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Your pics say it all. This is a panel issue. Sony is extending the warranty on some of their LCD panels for this issue. I would send Sony these pics and/or call an authorized Sony tech out to verify the problem and get your panel replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update re: Green blobs in 60 inch SXRD A2000 bought from A&B Sound in 2006 with 5 yr warranty by W3 Solutions (Walker Group) in West Vancouver, BC.

(Thanks for the info Munda26)

Called Sony for second time, CSR says (like 1st CSR) since you have 3rd party warranty you must pursue that route. CSR gave me a different W3 number to call: 1-877-999-1915.

Could not get past W3 receptionist - refused to/not permitted to pass on calls regarding claims! Gave name, address, phone #, email address and stated that I have heard zero from W3 in 2.5 months after multiple letters and emails. Got an email from them (2 days later) saying Based on the problem you reported, the model and serial number of your unit has been found to be related to a known manufacturer's recall. Please contact your manufacturer directly to request service at this time.

Sony pointing at W3, W3 pointing at Sony. WTF?!-but no surprise.

Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against W3 Solutions; real easy to do online.

Is anyone aware of a recall? I know of Sony extending A2000 warranties, but that's not the same as a recall. I replied to the email asking for documentation of the recall.

Advice?

Small claims court (against W3, or W3 and Sony)?

Will try to file a claim thru Sony's process - one last attempt before...?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts