AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have JTR triple 8's (2008) on the way along with a QSC GX3 amp . I'm looking for a super cost effective receiver with pre-outs to tie me over until I can afford a better one. Used, new, anything on ebay that you guys can recommend. Older generations welcome. I'm going to be using it for HT use with my PS3 and HTPC. Something less than $300 realistic?

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
You haven't listed any of the features you need in an AVR/AVP. If all you need is preamp outputs Harman Audio is selling
247/347 &
254/354 avrs at pretty good prices. I don't think you can get a lower price on an AVR with preamp output than the 247. Look for any Harman Kardon 2xx and up series avrs - they all will have preamp output.

The 247 goes for as low as $125 up to $180 or so. The 254 will cost a bit more - going for $220 and up. Probably a better choice if you want to sell it later although the 247 and 254 have identical amp sections.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help KH. I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. My main concern is having preamp outputs because I will use the QSC amp to power the L/R. Not concerned with surrounds at the moment. Will it be strange to use the HK to amp the center channel since the QSC is a 2 channel amp? Most of my use will be music with the occasional movie. I know the HK will not power the center channel as much as the external amp but will it work? Thanks again!

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri /forum/post/16976588

Thanks for the help KH. I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. My main concern is having preamp outputs because I will use the QSC amp to power the L/R. Not concerned with surrounds at the moment. Will it be strange to use the HK to amp the center channel since the QSC is a 2 channel amp? Most of my use will be music with the occasional movie. I know the HK will not power the center channel as much as the external amp but will it work? Thanks again!

The HK 247 and 254 have the same amp - and are rated 50wpc all channels driven. I suppose there will be a higher volume level where the QSC will overpower the center channel. The AVR can be set up with the Ez/Eq program that will set those volume levels automatically - but at some point at high volume the center will be drowned out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I figured that.....it will only be temporary until I can find a better amp and receiver. I'm actually looking at some 3 channel amps right now since the HK is such a good price. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri /forum/post/16977930

Yeah I figured that.....it will only be temporary until I can find a better amp and receiver. I'm actually looking at some 3 channel amps right now since the HK is such a good price. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help

Its hard to beat a 3 channel amp for boosting an AVR output - how about a 200wpc amp? The Emotiva XPA-3 is on sale right now for $549. The UPA-7 is quite a bargain too at only $649. The only thing I know of that comes close is the Outlaw 7125 . For some strange reason Outlaw does not have a 3 channel amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in a similar situation -- I have a receiver without pre-outs, and I now have amps with XLR inputs and am looking for a temporary receiver. I see the QSC also uses XLRs. I was hoping to find an inexpensive receiver with XLR preouts and HDMI, but I don't think they exist. So I'll probably end up going this same route too, and use RCA to XLR connectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts