AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - Recently received a Denon 1803 as an early Xmas present... Semi-set up on speakers - front channels are Infinity studio monitor 120s, center is an infinity entera, and the rears are a pair of oldish no-names - used to run 'em on a Marantz 2230, and they sounded quite tasty...

I'm going to be buying some real rears and backs over the winter. Toward Spring I'll be adding a sub.

Thing is, was fiddling the other night, and had an idea... Brought in the truck box sub (dual 8"ers) from my van, hooked up both sets of wires to the Marantz, plugged the Denon's sub out into the aux jack, and fired it up on mono... Dang, I didn't know what I was missing (and I'll probably be even _more_ impressed with a real sub - I know, but hey, I'm doing this in stages... It'll probably be an Infinity, since the other speakers likely will too). All that LFE stuff, even with a low end of maybe 30hz, was suddenly there...

So, if I continue to use the Marantz to run the sub box, am I likely to toast it? Not running huge volumes - the volume knob is at about the 50% location... Eventually I'm probably going to want to pull the old Infinity Studio Monitor 120s from the HT setup, and drive 'em with the Marantz for a bedroom stereo... Yeah, they're big. So?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I guess the project for tonight will be to take the truck box apart, and see if I can figure out what kinda speakers are in it... I would _really_ like to know, if it works out that they're 4 ohms, if I can run 'em with the Marantz for now...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.