AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50" Panasonic RPTV that purchased in 2003 and it works fine but I'm itching for a new TV that is at least 55" and possibly 60" (seating distance is 14' from the TV). Primary viewing is sports and standard definition cable programming.

Given the advancements that appear to be coming in the next 6-12 months, I'm leaning toward waiting to make the large investment and purchase a new, 55-60" TV. In the meantime, my cousin has a 2 year old Pioneer PDP-5070HD that I can buy for $1,100. I can probably sell my Panny for $500 or so with a net outlay of $500-$600 for the Pioneer.

For those with the PDP-5070HD, do you think this 8th generation Pioneer will be an upgrade from my RPTV, particularly given that I watch primarily SD and OTA HD? From what I have read, the Pioneer PDP-6020FD is far superior to the PDP-5070HD but a new 6020 is out of my price range so I'm considering getting the 5070 and using it for approx a year and then making the larger cash outlay on a more permanent TV.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
It is a 7th gen, year before Kuro Pioneer.

So the blacks are not close to Kuro's but the processing is still good and I'd guess the color accuracy is good as well.

Anyway you slice it, this is a choice no one can make for you. I'd give my opinion but I'm actually not sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts