AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to the Chief Engineer at WANE CBS here in Fort Wayne and he told me that digital Wane 31 will most likely be running in May of 2003. Also he mentioned that they just installed a new analog transmitter, new hard line and a new antenna at the top of the tower and it is not compatible with digital signals. They did keep the old feed line and will use it with a side mounted antenna. The digital transmitter and antenna are not at the station as of yet. Also he told me that he was sure the FCC was going to extend analog for at least ten more years! Please help I am really getting confused. The only digital signal is 28 miles from me and it is WINM DT 12 running at 5 kilowatts erp at just under 500 ft. tower height. The Hue or tint is still way to pink and the analog signal and hue is correct! it is not mt STB because I took it with to a friend in South Bend and all three digital pictures are correct. By the way the antenna here is a one bow tie with reflector with rg6 running to the STB. It is 25 feet above the ground. I had this aerial in storage since the late sixties and tried it out no problems yet. I am using a ten element high band VHF antenna aimed at dt12 and a Channel Master four bow tie for UHF at Fort Wayne and rg 11 to the STB. I am measuring 450 microvolts with a sadelco field strength meter. This would be a very noisy pix in the analog world but the digital looks OK. Any input regarding the ten more years of analog would be great. John L.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
At this point, most likely no one knows how much longer we will have analog and digital side by side. My own guess would be somewhere around 10 years. It just depends how fast the majority of people accept digital/HG. People are still buying analog tv sets today as you well know.

Most people are not even thinking about the changeover to digital. For them. they have more important things on their mind. For now and in foreseeable future, a big 55 inch analog tv does them just fine. Analog and digital will go side by side for many years into the future. But this should stop no one from enjoying digital/HD today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.