AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in the HDTV magazine sample issue that I got in my email tonight. Anyone else get this?

Devin

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Thats right Vic, and why not? As HD becomes more mainstream and they have "extra" bandwidth, they might as well throw some thing up there that arent currently. They could show the E+W feeds of HBO and Showtime (afterall, they already have a stupid amount of SD channels from those 2)..thats 4 right there. Putting aside rights availaiblity for the moment, they could have at least 1 if not 2 of all the Networks, that would add from 4 to 8 more. Then you have HDNet. And last but not least, let us not forget HD PPV. They could make 2 or 3 of those channels available at a time.

So "on paper" you could easily come up with 10 or more, but no, you certainly couldnt confuse it with 10 "new" channels, that dont even exist. At least at this point.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I'm not sure they can count east and west feeds of the networks becuase most people would not be able to get those and if they can it will be one or the other propbably not both.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I realize that Savage. But in this context of discussing the vague reference to after the merger having "10-20 HD channels", they didnt put any caveats with it. So i'm just saying theres a way that they could in fact have that many channels up on their bird(s), even if not necessarily everyone could receive them all.

It's just an extension of say the CBS HD feeds now. If you get them they would certainly count in "your" HD channel count from Dish. If you dont qualify then it really doesnt mean much, though it wouldnt keep Dish themselves from saying they have such and such a number of HD channels on their system at this time.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Even if you take that liberal method of counting, and you get 10 channels, how is an additional 10 even possible ? Are there 10 more possible Mark Cubans out there, ready to create 10 more possible HD Networks? If any of major cable nets have been planning to go HD I think we would have heard rumors by now. There just isn't the content to speculate that there could possibly be 20 channels, but it's hard to believe that HDTV Magazine would pull this number out of their butt, as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
Even if you take that liberal method of counting, and you get 10 channels, how is an additional 10 even possible ? Are there 10 more possible Mark Cubans out there, ready to create 10 more possible HD Networks? If any of major cable nets have been planning to go HD I think we would have heard rumors by now. There just isn't the content to speculate that there could possibly be 20 channels, but it's hard to believe that HDTV Magazine would pull this number out of their butt, as well.
The 10 to 20 channels would be after Dish Network/DirecTV had merged into one service, which I would think is at least 2 years away. By then, I would think more HD programming would be available.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you read the article carfully, it is a specualtion based on what is currently availible and what COULD be if producers are encouraged to make content availible. I take this to mean if more channels were created due to demand.

I say GIVE ME ALL THE DAMN HDTV!!! I CAN TAKE IT!

FREAK!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Six or 8 months ago, HDNet was still just a twinkle in Mark Cuban's eye, so who knows what can happen in two years or so.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
ASCN is still looking for a home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.