AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new theater/media room and need a new screen. Vutec has a non tensioned screen which is a "thicker" material that should not show waves.(Also is a 1.3 gain) Didn't know if anyone has heard of this? I'm trying to decide on the Vutec or a Draper.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredman /forum/post/12951983

I'm building a new theater/media room and need a new screen. Vutec has a non tensioned screen which is a "thicker" material that should not show waves.(Also is a 1.3 gain) Didn't know if anyone has heard of this? I'm trying to decide on the Vutec or a Draper.

Thanks for your help.

My first screen was a white 1.3 gain EluneVision. It had waves and the higher gain made them even more visible. I have purchased three of these screens now. All have a thicker material and all have waves. I have examined many screens at my place of work. All have waves. I have determined that a matte screen surface will not show waves due to it's inherent wide viewing cone. The higher gain screen that will not show waves is the Da-Lite High Power, but it has it's own limitations.

From my experience the answer is very simple. If the room can accommodate a fixed screen then that is the best option. If you must use a retractable screen then get a tab tensioned screen. Elite has the CineTension2 screens for very reasonable prices through suppliers with advertisements on this page. If you can't afford a tab tensioned screen then go with a matte screen surface even if the gain is 1 or lower. If you do not need a very wide viewing cone and you are going to mount the projector close to your line of sight, then the Da-Lite High Power retro-reflective material will not show waves.

One other consideration that may reduce the waves is to go with a more robust screen such as the Da-Lite Model C. It has a 3" roller that should be stiffer and it also puts less stress on the screen material.

I should say that my screens and any I have looked at in the work place are NOT really high quality screens. It is very possible that some of the higher end screen manufacturers are able to produce a retractable screen that will not have waves. Maybe some of the folks who have seen such higher quality screens could comment.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I love Da-Lite High Power screens. I've owned the 92" Model B and the 106" Model B both 16:9.

I found that especially with the 106" screen there were waves that were only evident during panning scenes. They're totally invisible otherwise but during panning scenes they give an effect not unlike rippling water.

You can also see then by just looking at the screen when the projector is off. I have noticed that the waves visible during panning scenes bug me at the time but the panning has to be slow and extended to be seen and I immediately forget about the waves as the scene transitions to fixed camera.

I appreciate your suggestion tiddler about Model C. I'm going to check into that. I've always heard that because the High Power screen material is heavy, it's more resistant to waves and I believe that to be true for the most part. Model C material might be even heavier.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to go fixed or pull down (manual or electric) and which gain to go with. I'd like to stay with High Power due to the punch of the images. Unfortunately the tab tensioned screens tend to be pricey.

Wayne

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Da-lite & Vutec have 3" rollers, and a thicker material. As mystery said it is less resistant to waves. I'm going to see one tonight.

Tab tensioned are pricey and what about the motor with arms? Do they ever give a problem?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Let us know what you think after you've checked it out wiredman. Is it the Model C High Power or Vutec you're seeing tonight?

Wayne

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mystery, sorry, didn't get to go. I talked with the homeowner and I'm going this weekend instead. I've been invited over to watch a movie as well as check out the screen. So I'll let you know.........

Anyone have a tab tensioned screen & like it or love it??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, went and looked at the Vutec 1.3 gain. Motorized, 110", 16x9, 1.3 gain, no waves. The material is thicker than others I've seen. It was in front of a window, in the middle of the day. NO light came through except around the edges. But that actually looked ok.......kind of like Philips ambilight TVs. Watched SD, HDTV and HD DVD. Great screen, no waves. It was hanging from the ceiling, has a somewhat "heavy" bar at the bottom(for weight I'm guessing). I was very pleased with this screen. I'm thinking why go with the tab tensioned for alot more money.

Anyone have any negatives?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts