AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this should be in the screen forum, but I posted there and since it has a whole lot less traffic I didn't get any responses.

I am about to purchase a screen for my (of course) lt150. I am convinced of the high power from everyone on the forums.

I was going to get a permwall 52"x92" in HP but I got to thinking and it wouldn't work because I need my directview for daily watching (@500.00 a bulb noway!), so that shot the permwall out of the question.

Now I want to get an electric drop screen however I have a new problem. I can get the Cosmopolitan Electrol for 880.00 + shipping, which isn't *too* bad since it will be a temp but long temp setup.

I inquired about a tensioned screen after getting worried about wrinkles and they want 1700.00. Now that I won't pay for a temporary screen. That's a lot of money just for the tab tensioning system.

So my question is this. If I get the Cosmopolitan Electrol will it get wrinkles? Are wrinkles a rarety or a reality? I dont want tog et a screen that will eventually get wrinkles all over it or what is the use?

Also I found one for 1k used, but it is a 1.3 gain and I wanted the high power which is 2.8, is there anyway I could put the HP material on the tensioned frame?

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chris,

I've got a Dalite Model B Pulldown in the Hipower material. I was worried about wrinkles but there aren't any. It is because the material is pretty thick. It might get a few minor waves, but IMO no wrinkles.

I took Grant's advice and am happy I did so.

It works great with my table mounted LT150.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Chris,

Just an FYI that Dalite does not make a tensioned High Power Electric screen, so I don't know where the person who quoted you got that info. It is a fiberglass based material that tensioning would damage. Also, I'd be happy to get you a better price for the non-tensioned screen if you'd like. Please send me an email and I can quote you a price.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I recently purchased/installed a 80"x45" HC (.8 gain) Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol and went *tensioned* for the following reasons:

1) I intend to keep it for a long time (it should wear better)

2) It resists some of the natural flow of air (like AC vents) that you forget you have in any room.

Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for: I think the tension mechanism maintains a more uniform surface. I also sprung for the electric mechanism *and* IR remote control (which makes it a lot easier to use).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick resonse guys. I full plan to take grants advise for the HP he was the one who started all this anyway =).

Jason:

Should I have to be concerned about wrinkles or waves that will distort the picture on the HP screen?

Also what is the highest gain I can get the tensioned screen in?

Thanks,

Chris

[This message has been edited by Mane3215 (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
It seems as though you've made your decision, but Da-Lite's (and other's in this forum--check for my post on "can a projector be too bright") position on the newer/brighter (>1000 lumens) LCD/DLP projectors is:

1) high-gain screens will ultimately create "hot spots"; you want to get in the 20-50 ftL range for front projection.

2) the low-gain screens (like the HC .8 gain I have) enhance the perceived black levels and contrast, which is exactly the problem with all the LCD/DLP projectors. I don't want to spend the $$ on CRT or have the option to permanently mount; I will eventually get some "high-powered" DLP projector.

I can tell you that my (subjective) opinion so far in (limited) testing is that these points prove to be true

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, I have a Da-Lite model b in matte white 60x80. It is non tensioned, cheap and I love it. Here are my suggestions: I do have minor waves or movements when someone walks by but I have never been distracted by it. If you use a non-tensioned screen, make sure the left and right mounts adjust about 1/2" up or down so you can level it perfectly to prevent waves on the sides. Also, I would assume that you would see waves in the screen more easily on a high gain screen than on a matte white 1.0 like mine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was giving some thought to the 1.3 tensioned screen I was offered, just afraid it wont be bright enough. I'm also wanting to ceiling mount this projector (not sure if possible yet) so I dont want to lose brightness with the HP screen. Still kind of unsure.

Anyone out there use a 1.3 w/lt150?

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.