AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would stay away from all Terks. Get the Channel Master. There cheaper and work much better. There not as pretty but at this point who cares.

John

·
Registered
553 Posts
Get the CM 4 bow-tie for $20. Works like a champ.

Tom Pfarr

[This message has been edited by tpfarr (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I am using the Wingard Sensar GS2000. I paid $75 dlivered and I could not be more happy. I pick up 19 stations from three different cities and 4 HDTV stations from Atlanta which is 65 miles away! I get NO drop-outs and the signal is fantastic.

------------------

Mark A. Torre
The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Terk HDTV60 (I will asume that's the model you are referring to) incorporates a helical dipole and built-in switched preamp. The design has been patented by Terk, and I have tested this antenna pretty extensively.

It has the highest gain on channels 2-6. Its performance on channels 7-13 is acceptable, but quite as good as 2-6. Where the HDTV60 runs into trouble is with UHF signals - the antenna has little or no gain anywhere in the UHF band. Even the built-in preamp doesn't help much.

This antenna was designed to be as broadband as possible, but the result is that UHF performance is greatly compromised. Some users are reporting good results with this antenna for DTV reception, but in most cases they are talking about VHF - not UHF reception.

8VSB DTV receivers are susceptible to multipath. The reason most people have trouble receiving DTV signals is generally a combination of low signal levels and moderate to high multipath. Better antenna designs can cure a lot of the multipath problem as well as boost the signal level to the antenna.

The easiest way to do that is to design a UHF antenna that is resonant in the range of DTV channels desired, and that also has a good front-to-back ratio. The HDTV60 doesn't fill either requirement.

A homemade 5-element 18" yagi antenna for UHF constructed from hardware store parts significantly out-performed the HDTV60 for receiving DTV UHF channels 26, 42, 46, 55, 62, 64, and 67 over 25+ mile paths in the Philadelphia area.

I cannot recommend the puchase of this antenna for the price charged.

KC

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregQuinn:
Does anyone know if that Terk antenna (is it called the DR42?) which clips onto a satellite Dish is any good? It would be very convenient for me since I have a dish set up but can't easily setup an external antenna too.

It was crap when I tried it, I tried it on my first dish to avoid buying locals, it went back to CC the next day. I had better reception with a 6 ft un terminated rg/6 cable attached to the back of my tv. What works well for me is the rat shack double bow tie. It is ugly as sin so but I get +90% on dtv signals and it was only $15 plus $3 for a 300 ohm to 75 ohm adapter.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain:
Torre. Where did you buy your Winegard antenna??
I'm not Mark, but I got mine from www.dishdepot.com for $59 which included free shipping. I'm not real pleased with its analog reception on low-numbered VHF channels. DTV reception is fine.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried the Terk TV-55 and I only picked up a three of the six digital stations currently broadcasting in Chicago. It did better with the VHF or lower UHF channels. I fiddled with it forever, connector changeouts, amps, etc... and it just didn't get the job done. Note that I am 27 miles from transmitting stations with line of site to the Sear Tower. I was frustrated. I could see Sears Tower and Hancock and could not receive everything. For that money, it should have kicked. I went to a Winegard 7038, a 60 inch 55 element UHF/VHF combo and it gets everything. I even split it for FM and I get awesome HDTV and FM, and most people do not recommend splitting. Now I just gotta ground the unit. Anyone have any recommended methodologies on antenna grounding?

LeeG

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I bought one of the Terk HDTV60s for $500 when they first came out. This is upposedly the best Terk has to offer. It was a piece of crap for NTSC and ATSC stations. I threw it out. (I couldn't bring myself to rip off someone and sell it.) I got a Channel Master VHF/UHF on a rotor installed for $300 and have enjoyed flawless reception ever since. Well, it looked cool.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The Terk question is kind of like a bad penny, it just keeps coming back. Hopefully anyone considering a Terk will have done a search and found this thread. I think it sums it up pretty well. The performance tests run by several of the forum members are clear data.

Companies often target a segment of the market they want to win. It is difficult to go head to head with a Winegard or Channel Master and then you have Radio Shack covering the low priced end. So, what do you do, you develop a patent, market it at a high price and figure that some number will equate price with performance and you can carve out a seqment of the market for yourself.

When the data arrives....the discussion is over.

..Doyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.