AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Toshiba Regza HDTV and I recently purchased a Terk HDTVA to replace cable tv and get back my major network HD channels. I ran my channel search and get all the main local channels that I want in HD (Fox, ABC, NBC, PBS, and CBS). I was hoping to only use an indoor antenna and took a chance with the Terk after reading good reviews. The HD channels I get are great. There's no grainy-ness, but most of the channels are pixelating a few seconds long every few minutes. I've searched tvfool for my local tower locations and I've tried pointing the antenna in all the directions along with trying different directions with the rabbit ears. My signal strength at best, was in the mid-80s, but I'm averaging in the mid-70s for all channels. The antenna is a few feet from the window. I also tried testing with/without the amplifier on. On the 'on' mode, I get a better reading. I'm well within my 25 mile tower range and I don't have many trees, houses, buildings blocking the view. Exterior walls of the house are masonite. I live in Raleigh,NC (mid-town). My question is, would adding a motorola booster help eliminate the pixelation? I couldn't find much about adding a booster to an existing amplified antenna. Sorry for the long story, but any info to help eliminate the pixelation (without using an outdoor antenna) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Boosting an already amplified anetnna is unlikely to improve the situation - you need more signal to enter the antenna in the first palce, not boost an already weak signal.

Besides turning the antenna in different directions did you actually move it around the room also? Reception can sometimes be dramatically improved by moving the antenna just a few feet. If none of that helps the only thing to do is an outdoor antenna - tho it doesn't have to mount outside - an attic install might be a good enough compromise. That masonite is not helping the signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried moving it around the room a few feet. I did read that some put their indoor in the attic, but I've not heard that you can do that with an outdoor one as well. I'll try moving it around the room at great distances. If need be, I can probably phish the cable through the walls fairly easily and try it out with the one I've. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maples01 /forum/post/15569900

If need be, I can probably phish the cable through the walls fairly easily and try it out with the one I've. Thanks for the tips.

I've got this same antenna, and this is exactly what I did. It's in the attic, with a 25' coax snaked through an old unused AC register down to the TV in the living room. It works much better than having the antenna in the living room--I guess the extra 5-6 feet of elevation helps.

As with all things antenna, YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts