AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched but didn't see another thread on this. Just got my new issue of "The Perfect Vision" (Nov/Dec). It contained the 2004 winners of its'

Golden Eye Awards. One of the winners was the Terk HDTVi indoor TV antenna. I tried this antenna a couple of months ago and had no success.

I eventually bought a Silver Sensor and the difference was night and day. The Silver Sensor (of which the HDTVi seems a copy) is a vastly superior (IMO) antenna. Looked at the bottom of the page for a "paid advertisement" notice. The copy with the picture really sounded like an ad.

Do companies pay for these awards?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
THe Terk HDTVi is one of the worst indoor set-tops for DTV reception.

The Perfect Vision should be ashamed...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
They must Pay for this type of "review"(Ahem) if you will.

I don't receive the magazine PERFECT VISION, but that antenna is total crap. This is being generous.

I would somehow try to contact the editor, and find out how and why they stand behind such a piece of garbage.

I agree with the above poster that they should be ashamed.

This is obviously a "paid for" review. Hell, the reviewer may be made up and does not exist.

Movie studio's have been doing this for years with their "reviewed" movies in Newspapers, and have been BUSTED on it as well. Look at some of the names on the positive. Recognize any of them. "THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER", raves SKIPPY from MoVIESROCK.whatever Unless you see Thumbs up/Thumbs down on a review, be wary of WHO is saying this.

Even then you have to be careful(elipses in sentences, two words taken out of bad review and printed to make it LOOK good)

PERFECT VISION, I will have hard time believing anything you print again.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
They must Pay for this type of "review"(Ahem) if you will.

I don't receive the magazine PERFECT VISION, but that antenna is total crap. This is being generous.

I would somehow try to contact the editor, and find out how and why they stand behind such a piece of garbage.

I agree with the above poster that they should be ashamed.

This is obviously a "paid for" review. Hell, the reviewer may be made up and does not exist.

Movie studio's have been doing this for years with their "reviewed" movies in Newspapers, and have been BUSTED on it as well. Look at some of the names on the positive. Recognize any of them. "THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER", raves SKIPPY from MoVIESROCK.whatever Unless you see Thumbs up/Thumbs down on a review, be wary of WHO is saying this.

Even then you have to be careful(elipses in sentences, two words taken out of bad review and printed to make it LOOK good)

PERFECT VISION, I will have hard time believing anything you print again.
Actually, this wasn't a review (there was a seperate review) but a yearly award the magazine to products they consider technological breakthroughs or stand out in some other ways. That's why I was so amazed to see the Terk along with other worthy products. If I ever believed that "The Perfect Vision" was objective--I can no longer believe that. Where do we go for truly objective opionions?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
We all know that Terk is "a leader in antenna technology": after ripping off the Silver Sensor, they proceeded to ripoff the Square Shooter.

Well deserved award. :rolleyes:

Anyone else want to invent something Terk can bask in the glory of?

·
Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
...after ripping off the Silver Sensor, they proceeded to ripoff the Square Shooter.
Paul, which Terk antenna are you claiming is a rip-off of the Square Shooter? Got a link?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Artwood
I have never respected any thread more than this one. Posters actually saying that a product sucks. I'm proud of the posters. Congragulations!
Have you tried the Terk antenna?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I tried that Terk antenna and 2 other Terk models, with the same result-- a silver sensor beat them all across the board. Not only that but the 2 Terks I tried did not even work for me, half the channels were missing no matter how I oriented them.

The clerks at BestBuy remarked no matter how many times the Terks were sold, they kept getting returned, never a good sign.

Not only that , but 2 different Radio Shack VHF/UHF antennas did worked much better than the Terks as well.

I don't usually post really negative comments, but in this case I am forced to agree, I wasted an afternoon on this Terk antenna. It was terrible. The idea it got an award just makes me laugh out loud and ask what IS going on with these reviews .:rolleyes:

·
Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
The Terk/Square Shooter is the Terk HDTV-s.

Could not find a picture or link. It is available at Best Buy for $149.99 MSRP. I saw a small stack there.

It is mentioned at this site (although it is not 16' square by 4' deep, it is 16" square by 4" deep):

http://www.hometoys.com/show_news.ph...ew&id=18439129
I saw that link a while back. I looked in BB but could not find it here. Its not on the Terk web site. I've been trying out a SquareShooter 2000 for the past few days with mixed success. Final verdict remains to be made.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
No I haven't tried the Terk antenna. I also haven't personally tried most of the products that are discussed here at the forum--I don't have millions of dollars to try each and every one. I'm just glad to see that despite the ever pro-sales bias of this place that posters can sometimes just say that a product sucks. I think that's great. We need more of that!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Never had any luck with Terk here, I have a piece of junk FM antenna of their's that I bought when I didn't know any better that can't pick up a local station at my house that I can get in my car 30 miles further north of their tower.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Artwood
No I haven't tried the Terk antenna. I also haven't personally tried most of the products that are discussed here at the forum--I don't have millions of dollars to try each and every one. I'm just glad to see that despite the ever pro-sales bias of this place that posters can sometimes just say that a product sucks. I think that's great. We need more of that!
Sorry, I misunderstood your post--thought you were being facetious. I see you meant what you said.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
The HDTV-s is not on the BB website (yet). It took a little while for the Samsung Silver-Sensor-on-Steroids to appear on the BB site as well even though it was already in the stores.
Get this...the Terk HDTV-S is now listed on the Best Buy web site (link below). If you open up the View More Photos window and look carefully at the picture you will notice that there is the Winegard "W" logo in the bottom left corner of the front of the antenna. I thought it looked a lot like the Winegard Squareshooter!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought the terk hdtv-s and it does have a W in the bottom corner.... This antenna is not working well but I have nothing to compare it to. I live in a RED area. my deck it is on faces south which is were most of the broadcasts I want to receive are. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The higher the better and it's a highly directional antenna, aim it well.

·
Banned
529 Posts
I got the manual for the HDTV-S from Terk. It is identical to the non-amplified version of the Winegard Squareshooter. So, it looks like this Terk antenna is actually a (non-amplified) Winegard Squareshooter.

I managed to get the amplified version of the Winegard Squareshooter to pull in some Violet-UHF stations (only 20 miles away but they broadcast at reduced power) but could only get about 50% signal strength. Initially I mounted it about 20' up on the side of my house pointed at the towers but that didn't work well at all. When I moved it about 12-15' away from the house it worked better but I could only get 10' above ground on top of wooden patio cover.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.