AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I posted this message on the Rear Project forum, but part of it applies to reception, so I wanted to post it here also. I left the message intact as some of you all might know the first part (about 480p/520p/720p/1080i on the Hitachi 65swx20b) also. Here is the original message:

xxxxxxxxx

I have a TERK 3 lnb DirecTV cable hooked up to a Sony HD200 SAT, and from the Sony, I have DVI output to the DVI input of my Hitachi 65swx20b.

Almost every station I look at (by changing channels on the HD200) is 480p, except for HDNET (channel 199 on DirecTV and the HBO and Showtime HD stations. These 3 stations display 1080I on the TV.

Is this correct? I thought the Hits have 540p. Or is this the HD200 forcing it to 480p? Is the 1080i better than 720p...which I do not seem to get anyway?

Also, in my relentless search for HD content, I saw (on another thread) someone talking about a TERK OTA antenna that attaches to the top of the DirecTV Dish. I could probably sneak that one by the board (and not be the only guy in 250 homes that has an ugly normal antenna sticking up on the roof.

I think it was the TERK42 and is placed just on top of the dish with the same contour as the dish (it is a half circle looking antenna). Would I need anything special (multiplexors etc (I am challanged in the antenna area).

I live in Palm City, Fl and live anywhere from 35 to 50 miles from the West Palm Beach stations. My DirecTV dish faces (clear shot) Southwest, (so I guess the Terk would also face Southwest as it follows the shape of the Dish. The WPB stations are South of me (as I mentioned 35 to 50 miles).

The Titantv or antennaweb suggest I can pull OTA in from my position, but installers have nixed it while, I believe at least one person (in Palm City, Fl) has said it is possible. So, I guess it is questionable one way or another as to the capibility of pulling in OTA from my specific location. (I will post this part on the programming forum also) but if anyone here knows, that would be great.

So, Bottom line, I guess the questions are:

1. 480p/520p/720p/108oi aspect ratios on the Hitachi 65swx20b hooked up (via DVI) to a Sony HD200 SAT... what gives? and,

2. Does a Terk OTA antenna (mounted to a Terk DirecTV dish) work ok?

Thanks a lot in advance. Bob

Robert P Wagner

:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would not recomend the terk antenna, you would do better with an antenna in your attic as much as I hate that option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.