Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://shop.store.yahoo.com/vss-elec...v-55-terk.html

I just spent $92.87 (delivered) for a Terk TV-55 indoor/outdoor amplified "HDTV ready" television antenna. Did I do the right thing? I have a bottom floor apartment in a 4 story wooden building with all the broadcast antennas on the opposite side of the building. Terk Technologies has an interesting Web site where you insert your address and you get a map showing you where the broadcast antennas are in your area with directional lines, etc.

Anyone have experience with this unit? I have tried rabbit ears with no luck at all. I figure I can sneak this thing out on my covered porch and at least get it outside. Probably should have tried the double bow tie first, but I think I really need an amplified unit to get a signal in my location.

Terk broadcast antenna finder: http://www.terk.com/tv/antwebframe.html

Christopher

[This message has been edited by Christopher Calder (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Chris,

I'm going to disparage one of the biggest antenna companies in the world. I'm sure trained teams of Terk assassins are heading to my house even as I type.

Terk's powered outdoor antennae suck. The pricier the model, the worse value it is for you as a consumer. If you don't have some serious space and/or aesthetic considerations, buy a real outdoor antenna. Most of the antenna designs haven't really changed since the 1950's or 1960's. That because the underlying physics of electromagnetic propagation haven't changed.

Your best bet is to buy an antenna from Channelmaster, Winegard, Antennacraft or Radio Shack. They aren't that pricey. The quality is worth it.

Try entering your location at www.antennaweb.org

You will get a fairly accurate picture of which direction your local stations are. If you are only interested in HDTV signals, you may be able to get buy with a UHF-only antenna. Try the $17 dollar Radio Shack indoor double bowtie first. Then try a good quality outdoor antenna unamplified. If that doesn't work, try adding a high quality preamplifier like the Channelmaster 7775 or the Winegard 4800.

This forum is an excellent source of information and assistance in grabbing those hard to get HDTV signals. Michael Mullis is only the latest forum member to get poor performance from a Terk 55 and excellent performance from an antenna that cost 25% the price. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too late for that, its on the way. I will give the Terk a try anyway. Perhaps it will work in my location. I cannot use any other outdoor antenna due to apartment lease considerations. As I said, I tried indoor rabbit ears and got nothing usable. If this TV-55 does not work, I will try the Radio Shack double bow tie, but I doubt that would do much for VHF channels. I just saw the Terk on sale and went for it. It could have been worse. I could have paid $120. for it.

Christopher

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robinson:
I also have the terk55 and live around tall apartments. I put the terk on the roof and hide the cable as I am not allowed to do that. The terk works very well for me
Well, that makes me feel better. I don't see how they could be such a big company and make antennas that do not work. I can only put mine on a porch, not on the roof. Hope it works. If I cancel my cable it will pay for itself in 7 months. I just want to watch the news and PBS. Otherwise I no interest in broadcast TV, except for movies, which I watch on DVD only.

Christopher

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have tried several antenna now, the Terk 55 included. I bought it locally at a Circuit City. I have tried it, the Jensen TV920, and the $17 Radio Shack model (15-623). Out of all of them, the Radio Shack model worked the best. I have since taken the other two back, and saved myself $100. I'd definitely recommend the Radio Shack over the Terk. I'm also in an apartment, on the ground floor of three floors.

Just my $0.02 cents. Hope whatever you choose works for you.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"I don't see how they could be such a big company and make antennas that do not work."

I think that, in general, American TV viewers have never seen a good TV picture, so they have nothing to compare to.

If a Terk is all you can use, go ahead and try it. I'd say that the chances of it being good are slim, but they probably work in some instances. It all depends on the location. But, for best results, use a REAL antenna. I have two (a VHF LPDA and a long UHF yagi) on my balcony. And, they are legal!

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a terk-55 installed in my attic, and it works okay.

It does not seem as good as my indoor amplified RCA antenna, but, it does work.

My area needs both VHF and UHF.

VHF is for digital channels 8&9, and UHF for 18 and 22.

So you have to be careful of what you read.

A lot of digital is UHF, and don't compare a VHF & UHF antenna with a UHF only.

Anyway, I think I am going to return the Terk for a Winegard GS-2000.

As noted in the thread, The Terk works, but depending on location, some antenna work differently than others.

I think the Terk amplifier BW rolls off at the high end, and I get a poor channel 69.

Also the heat in the attic probably has a bad effect on the Terk amplifier.

Will let you know the results after I exchange the antenna next week.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by George33027:
It does not seem as good as my indoor amplified RCA antenna, but, it does work.
Can you please tell me what is the model number of your RCA indoor antenna and where you purchased it, and how much you paid for it. I have sent an e-mail to VSS Electronics and asked them to cancel my oprder for the Terk. It has not been shipped so I may be able to get out of the deal. The RCA was one of the antennas I was considering but could not find a place to buy it. I need both UHF and VHF.

Christopher

·
Registered
987 Posts
I bought my RCA indoor ant at Kmart for $20.

It was on sale. List was $35.

It says Ant200.

It has the two rods for VHF/FM and a UHF loop. The rods can be moved in any position, as well as the loop can be rotated and fliped.

The amplfier has a variable control (min to max) which I leave on max.

Amazing little sucker.

The UHF is very selective, and I had to play with it for awhile to get the best signal. Once adjusted, I leave it.

I was supprised that the loop had to be almost flat (horizontal) and had only one sweet spot, but it works!

Price was right to play with.

As with any antenna, it depends on the signals and location and terain and voodoo.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just bought a tuner and the Terk 50. I put the Terk in the attic and it worked just fine. Because it worked so good, I bought the FM Pro antennae and put that next to it in my attic. I found the Terk TV 50 to be highly directional - which is neither here nor there... but an interesting fact - I was lucky to use the web finder to aim it correctly the first time. From a strength perspective, I was getting signals measured in the 80s (on the TV readout 0-100). Then - it never occurred to me... i remembered I had an antennae on the roof. The only reason I remembered was because I had a roofer to an estimate and he asked me if I wanted to take it down. It is probably 20-30 years old and rusted as anything I've ever seen. The old cable was cut and bruised. So I put an end on it... hooked it up... and I'm getting signal strength in the 97-99 range on all DTV stations. I'm going to replace the line, return the Terk and ground it... but... there you have it.

That old ugly thing on the roof when I bought the house... is actually useful!

I know this doesn't answer your question... but there are some reception numbers for the debate.

Oh, and the picture quality was fine in the mid-80s via the Terk. Put another way, there has been no difference in signal quality.

The major reason I took the outdoor over the terk-in-the-attic... was because it snows here... snow and ice on the roof is going to make it worse I would think... but I don't know.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I tried the Terk TV55, but it failed to out-perform the

GE Max I already had installed. It was a clean try,

physically replacing the GE Max mounted at the peak of

my apartment roof (don't tell anybody)with the Terk, and

aiming it as best we could using a signal strength meter.

Unfortunately, it seemed to be junk. The GE Max was

much much better... bringing in 5 of the 7 digital channels

available solidly, while the Terk only brought in 3 and

two of them were shaky and pixelated. Actually, the 2

missing channels are broadcasting at fractional power until

October and I'm just in a bad location to receive them

right now. Hopefully that will disappear come October

when they go to full power.

Anyway, the Terk came down and the GE Max went back up.

The GE Max has a similar tube-shape to the Terk, but it's

round (like a fluorescent tube) whereas the Terk is ovaloid.

The GE Max is about 6 feet long, whereas the Terk is around

4 feet or so.

The GE Max retails for $99, and the Terk retails for $129.

But the GE Max actually works! I have it mounted on the

peak of my roof (horizontally), but you might want to

give it a shot inside your apartment if the Terk doesn't

work out. They're really both very similar in idea,

but the GE Max seems much more sensitive. At least it's

something else to try if you have to. It's powered (with

a power injector) just like the Terk.
http://www.jascoproducts.com/cgi-loc...7451+997853315

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have found that each antenna and installation is different.

That is why I tried the Terk-55.

It was part of a package and I tried.

Yes it works, but I do believe it is not the best value for your dollar.

I think the main problem is the inline amplifier, that Terk raves about. It is good at the low end of the frequency spectrum, but has partial gain at the high end, where is where I need it.

I also think it needs more temperature compensation.

The only good think about it, is that it appears to have signal bypass circuitry for large varing signals. Which I don't.

So I am about to try the Winegard GS2000. I heard good results about this, but now in this thread I hear the GE MAX may also be a good choice.

Again, area, location and signal path are all the factors that have to be added in to get the correct choice of antenna.

The attic WILL attenuate the signal, depending on the roof substance and height, as attested above. But, that is what I am allowed to do, so I have to live with this limitation.

I also believe there is a lot of profit margin in the Terk, so that is why it is offered by so many.

Now we have GEMAX better than Terk test. Does anyone have GE MAX and GS2000 test results ???????????????????

·
Registered
987 Posts
It looks like either Terk makes the max for GE, OR , does GE make the 55 for Terk ???

They look almost exactly alike, including the amplifier!

don't know why one performs better than the other, unless it is quality control, or something was added or removed from the 2 models.

I think I will try the wingard, because it has a totally different design format, but has the same antenna signal characteristics.

Any GS2000 people out there with performace information ???

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by George33027:
It looks like either Terk makes the max for GE, OR , does GE make the 55 for Terk ???

They look almost exactly alike, including the amplifier!
I may be wrong but I think they are different designs made in different factories. The GE MAX comes in three sizes, the Terk in only one, and it is a different shape. I think it is more likely that GE decided to copy the Terk design and their engineers managed to make it better.

Christopher

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robinson:
The Terk 50 and the RS is the same. Terk makes many models which most are sold as some other name on them.
By "RS" I guess you are talking about a specific Radio Shack model. We are talking about the GE MAX antenna system, which may be very different.

Christopher

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
According to the link I would need the 2' GE Max model:
http://www.jascoproducts.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.ex e/online-store/scstore/p-TV94759.html?L+scstore+ztzd1728ff517451+998001161 - for $50., for use close to broadcast antennas.

So many choices. After I call on Monday to make sure my Terk order is canceled, I will probably buy the GE or the Radio Shack double-bow and rabbit ears combined with a connector. I do find all these designs interesting, and some of them, like the Millenium, look like sculpture. Maybe I will flip a coin.

Christopher

[This message has been edited by Christopher Calder (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tell me how the GE MAX works for you.

It seems that the MAX is better and cheaper than the Terk.

You may be correct, one copies a design and improves on it.

IT could also be in the amplifier that makes the difference.

I still would like to know if anyone has the Winegard GS2000, which is a completly different design, but has the same characteristics as the TErk 55.

Since where we live, there are a few different stations around, but all seem to be in one direction. So a 180 degree antenna will be the best for our situation.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a TV50 that I dought a three years ago before I vould get locals on Dish. I broke it back out again for my 6000 just for kicks and it works great in the attic.

One thing I found out then and confirmed now, the antenna, while advertised as a multidirectional, seems extremely directional to me and is also very suceptible to multipath. I am lucky now in that I have a good line of sight to the tower farm with no taller buildings nearby and that almost all of our stations transmitters are located on three towers withing a 1 mile circle. The one or 2 that aren't are 180 degrees away so I put the antenna perpendicular to the line of propagation and I get 87-93% on all my HDTV stations on the 6000. Now I would love for someone to tell me exactly what the meter on the 6000 means but that is another thread.

In my apartment where the antenna was located before, I had tons of problems getting it to pick up all the stations well and had to move it every once in a while for one of them. My building was up against a small hill and I think the stepped back areas and porches on the other buildings all interfered with the signal.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.