AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried both, and can compare the two for indoor reception? Which is better? I would tend to think the Terk because it's amplified and omni-directional (I think). I tried the RS BowTie and could only get two channels. A couple came in at about 30-35 percent, so I thought maybe the amplified Terk would be better. Any thoughts?

I live in the city close to the transmitter, but there's a lot of tall buildings in the area and I'm only on the 5th floor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Double Bowtie actually worked better than the Terk, for me. I then bought a little indoor RS 30db gain antenna. That worked quite well too. Maybe a little better than the RS DblBow, but much better than the Terk.

The Terk is for show and not much else as they are way overpriced and are way underperformance.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other problem with the bowtie is that it is only UHF, and CBS here comes in on VHF.

The other thing I didn't understand was if all the stations are coming from the Sears Tower, why would some come in and some not? And the ones that came in came in at close to 100, sometimes AT 100! Yet others, like FOX, did not come in except at around 30, and even then I had to move the antenna. In other words moving the antenna to get 30 on Fox caused me to get 0 on the others, and vice versa.

Any idea why this would be and what the solution is?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, is there any way to test digital signal strength of the various channels before going out and buying an HDTV receiver? What would I need? Some kind of meter I could attach to the antenna perhaps?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Peter... Although the the RS DBT is a UHF antenna, it works fine as a VHF antenna too. If you do a search, you'll find a couple of mods you can make to improve it, although it works very well right out of the box. Of course, it has its limits; if you're not getting a strong signal on certain stations, you may need a different antenna.

You have to have some sort of digital tuner (HD STB) to test the signal strength of digital broadcasts.

Other factors, such as signal strength, can affect how you receive two signals coming from the same relative location.

Thanks... Ralph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.