AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad experience an unterminated 6 foot rg6 cable was a better antenna, and I have a clear line of sight to sutro from across the bay. If I remember correctly many previous posts have also said they have had bad experiences, you may want to do a search.

Pick up a radio shack bow tie for $15, it work great for me and if it doesn't work for you just return it.

BTW I do not think we have any VHF HDTV in the bay, every thing is UHF.

Regards

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tburton:
Btmoore: Thanks for the tip.. glad I asked! I'll head over to radio shack!
just to be clear it is called the double bow tie and it looks like a gold oven rack with two gold bow ties attached. You will also most likely need a 300 ohm to 70 ohm adapter.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
252 Posts
In the SF Bay Area, one station is VHF. KNTV digital channel 12 (ntsc 11).

They transmit from Loma Prieta.

They are going to be the Bay Area NBC station starting 1/2002.

Everything else close by is UHF. Most are on Sutro, a few down in San Mateo.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had terrible experience with the Terk TV-42. I'm in a strong signal area, the nearest suburbs of Washington DC. It could only pick up 1 of the 3 UHF PBS stations in the metro region and the reception was poor. Reception of the 4 major VHF stations in the city was unwatchable. Worst thing though, which I didn't find out until a couple of months later was that it was robbing signal strength from my DirecTV dish. In good weather, it was reduced signal strength from good to just the minimum. In bad weather, it made the signal unwatchable. I did not find this out until I had a DirecTV installer come back out to see what the problem was. J&R Music World wouldn't do a thing about it because it was beyond their 30-day return period, despite several communications with them. Terks Co. was also unhelpful. All they were willing to do was swap it for another TV-42 since they thought this one was defective. There was no way I wanted to put that antenna model back up on my roof. I asked them to let me return it for credit against purchase of a better model of their antennas. They refused. Once I replaced the Terks TV-42 with a $15 indoor rabbit ears, I found that the cheap indoor antenna did a better job. I did further research. In the future, I plan to get an 8-bay bowtie antenna that can bring in UHF better, including digital broadcasts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can anybody share their experience (good or bad) with the clip on Terk TV42 for OTA VHF/UHF HDTV? I'm within the CEMA map range.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just wanted to add that the terk TV-42 is awful. I had read that it was pretty much useless here, but best buy lets me return such things, so i figured i'd give it a try anyway..

everyone is right, it's a POS...

i went to RS and found one of those double bowtie antennas...apparently there aren't too many left. Since it was old, the manager gave it to me for 8 bucks. Hooked it up to my Hughes E86, and blammo, 100 signal strength on CBS. No amplification or anything, just the double bowtie, a 300-75 ohm adaptor, and a 50 ft run of rg6. I was getting about 10-15 with the Terk.

I live around 40 miles from the empire state building. Though other than CBS I can only pickup FOX..which..why bother...

If there weren't already enough reasons to want to rid the earth of terrorists...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Harkov

I live around 40 miles from the empire state building. Though other than CBS I can only pickup FOX..which..why bother...
With a little luck (and a larger antenna) you should probably be able to pick up Philadelphia.

-Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used a Terd 42 antenna for a short time. It was the worst piece of junk I ever used. It was worse than RCA rabbit ears that I bought from Home depot. The Terd 42 is nothing but an over priced marketing gimmick. Spend your money on a decent roof top antenna and do not waste your time with the Terd 42.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.