AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a Mitsubishi HD-500 and I'm not looking to get the DTV Channels offered in Boston. I've done some reading and I've looked at AntennaWeb.org to find a suitable antenna. Because of the covenants in my neighborhood, I'm not really supposed to put an antenna on the roof. However, I'm pretty sure I could sneak the Terk TV50 / TV55 along the roof line. Based on AntennaWeb I'm fairly close to all of the towers except for WCVB (my house is near Rogers Street in Tewksbury, MA, 01876). I was thinking that if I put the antenna on the side of the house facing the tower I would have a good chance of picking up WCVB (20-DTV) as well as the other stations. Could anyone give me an idea of their experiences with the Terk antennas?

One side note, the only option for a "large" antenna is in the attic of my house..

Thanks in advance!

------------------

--

MmmMmmm.. donuts..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by busalacchi:
I've recently purchased a Mitsubishi HD-500 and I'm not looking to get the DTV Channels offered in Boston. I've done some reading and I've looked at AntennaWeb.org to find a suitable antenna. Because of the covenants in my neighborhood, I'm not really supposed to put an antenna on the roof. However, I'm pretty sure I could sneak the Terk TV50 / TV55 along the roof line. Based on AntennaWeb I'm fairly close to all of the towers except for WCVB (my house is near Rogers Street in Tewksbury, MA, 01876). I was thinking that if I put the antenna on the side of the house facing the tower I would have a good chance of picking up WCVB (20-DTV) as well as the other stations. Could anyone give me an idea of their experiences with the Terk antennas?

One side note, the only option for a "large" antenna is in the attic of my house..

Thanks in advance!

Forget about TERK-55. It is not even as good as the simple RCA rabbit ear antenna. I don't have it on the roof of my house but I did try pretty much everywhere else in my house.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The problem with most Terk antennas is that they have insufficient gain on the UHF channels to be of much use for DTV reception. A majority of DTV stations are operating on UHF channnels - certainly most of the DTV stations in major markets in the NE USA are - and the Terk TV55 just doesn't have enough gain at those frequencies.

Neither do the TV35 and the "bugzapper" HDTV60. All these designs work much better on CHs 2-6, and are somewhat degraded in performance from channels 7-13. But 15-69 are tough.

That's not to say the TV55 won't work at all. But you may have some problems with it. If you are that close, indoor reception might be possible. Can you install an attic antenna?

If so, try the Channel Master 3021. It's a 4-bay UHF colinear design that works very well for UHF. You could also mount the 3021 outside (there are some exceptions to the "no antennas" rule which are covered elsewhere on the forum). But you may have enough signal strength to try it indoors.

Stark Electronics sells this antenna - they're over in Worcester. They also have a web site. If signal levels aren't high enough with an indoor installation, you may want to add a UHF preamp - I like the CM 7775, which is UHF-only.

I have used the 3021 and 7775 preamp to get reception of DTV signals over a 64 mile path from New York City (and that path is not unobstructed).

For more info on antennas such as these, go to www.projectorexpert.com and you will find several articles about DTV reception.

KC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.