AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to terminate a HD15 cable ???????????

I am using a VGA switcher. The one cable that will go to the projector will need 5 BNC ends for the projector and an HD15 end for the switcher. For the end that needs to be terminated with an HD15 end, currently is not terminated at all. How hard is it to put an HD15 end on a cable and have an excellent result? Assuming the answer to my question is, that it is doable, who can tell me exactly how to do it? The 5 cables that I am referring are not terminated at all. I was wondering the practicality of terminating the cable with an HD15 end, as opposed to terminating with BNC ends and then using a breakout cable.

Is there any other place I should be posting this to get additional help? Thanks.

Carl

·
Registered
968 Posts
Carl,

I'm not sure what kind of cable you're refering to, but I assume it is 5 individually shielded wires in a cable assembly of sorts. Terminating into either a male or female HD15 connector can be done without too much difficulty and for probably about $5 worth of parts. The hard part is soldering and neatly heat-shrinking if necessary.

Many electronic/electrical supply houses or mail order houses like DigiKey or Mouser will have this stuff. The primary components are the HD15 connector and the backshell housing it goes in to. Depending on how well you build it and dress it up it could look very nice, but it doesn't have to be pretty to be functional.

One personal observation is that I've had trouble with just about every VGA switch box I've ever used with a monitor to switch between computers. For some reason they've worked good for me for a time and then they get intermittent on some signals.

Mark

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

HD-15 connectors as outputs are cruel and not unusual enough; this is why: The tiny connector does not support soldering of cable of sufficient gauge to transmit high frequency video more than a few feet. The HD-15 on the graphics card of a PC is meant to support a six foot monitor cable and not much else. If confronted by an HD-15 output, consider the use of an interface device such as an Extron 109 Plus or 202xi; these devices can buffer and amplify signals to 300mhz, well beyond the needs of any HT application, they output on BNC connectors, correct positive-going sync (ala RCA DTC-100) to the industry standard of negative-going sync, allow H phase adjustment, gain adjustment, and generally provide sufficient drive to enable using 50 feet or more of suitable coax on out to the inputs of your projector. Bandwidth and cable gauge limitations also make HD-15 switch devices an unfortunate choice of hardware when the quality of the image on the screen is everything.

Tim at E-Tech Phoenix

·
Registered
968 Posts
Tim,

Carl didn't specify what type of cable he has to use. I'm assuming on the side of some type of higher quality RGBHV cable meant for video distribution. Carl will have to tell us, but I doubt its the same quality as a typical six foot monitor cable.

Just the same, there is no reason I wouldn't consider terminating even RG6 coax into an HD15 connector. It can be done and if I was customizing something for myself I might do it. It is labor intensive however and I wouldn't do it for someone else, but I'd prefer this over multiple adapter widgets.

I've tried to attach a picture of the HD15 connectors I had laying around, and a pre-made HD15 adapter that might be useful to transition from HD15 to BNC cable quickly (in a short distance).

As far as using a different piece of gear like the Extron in the set up, its only a matter of money...

Mark

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
My esteemed colleague Tim is right on as usual. That is why top of the line processors use bncs out and not 15 pin. However a long 15 pin to bncs cable will work with or without a breakout. If you use a breakout you will need bnc barrels. Be sure to use 75 ohm ones. We are talking maximizing results here.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
When I get back home I'll have to photograph the way I connected by video card to my projector. I took a blank slot cover (the thing you remove from a computer case to put a new card in) and drilled 5 holes in it. I mounted BNC panel connectors on it and soldered short bits of RG-58 to them. Those bits are soldered directly to the motherboard, with just enough length to mount this connector right next to the video card.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using high quality RG6 cables for my video. In doing my research on switchers, I never heard this concern concern about the HD15 connection. The switcher I am using is an Altinex DA1916SX. It does have amplification built into it and bandwidth of ~350mhz. In my ingorance, I was thinking it is only 5 wires, how complicated can it be? Why is it so complicated, and why should the quality of this termination be so different from BNC?

Carl

·
Registered
784 Posts
Carl,

Phoenix Tim is spot on. He speaks the truth. I built my own DB-15 to 5BNC cable to save some green and will never do it again. It is cruel and unusual punishment. I used really thin, high performance digital video cable from Belden, and it was a real PITA. RG-6 has a much larger outside diameter. The DB-15 connector body and shell are just too small to easily accommodate 5 big pieces of RG-6. 5 pieces definitely won't fit into the hood, even if you modify it. So you end up with a kludge job. So it's not that it can't be done, because it can. You just may not want to bother. Using a high quality DB-15 to 5BNC, and 5 75 Ohm barrel connectors may be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with sentiment here. It's worth the money to just go ahead and buy the proper cable with an HD-15 connector and one end and 5 BNCs on the other end. Afterall, this is the single most important, and likely the longest video cable running from your equipment rack to your projector. I purchased my RGBHV cable from www.bettercables.com . But you can also try www.markertek.com as well.

How far along is the room coming?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Rosback
Carl,

The DB-15 connector body and shell are just too small to easily accommodate 5 big pieces of RG-6. 5 pieces definitely won't fit into the hood, even if you modify it.
It can be done. Don't use a normal shell. Instead get a DB-9 adapter that has a removable shell. Remove the two db-9 connectors and trim one end with a knife. You'll have to use some sort of "potting" for strain relief (after being VERY sure of the quality of the connections) and use heat shrink. In this manner, I've managed to fit 5 large cables into this shell.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good idea, Chris!:cool: Carl, looks like you've got an option should you choose to terminate your cables yourself. Nice part is, the connectors are really cheap, so even if you don't like the result, you won't be out much green.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can someone tell whether my connections are correct as I'm getting a bit of ghosting images:

1. red

2. blu

3. Green

6. red G

7. blu G

8. Green G

10 & 11. Sync Ground

13. H sync

14. V sync

Do I need to ground pin 4,5,9,12?

Also do I need to use BNC or can I use RCA connectors? thank you very much.

·
Registered
198 Posts
pin configuration and color code as it connects to the 5 BNC connectors

15 PIN HIGHDENSITY D-SUB FEMALE at the video card.

15 PIN HIGHDENSITY D-SUB MALE at the monitor cable.

Pin Name Dir Description

1 RED OUT Red Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)

2 GREEN OUT Green Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)

3 BLUE OUT Blue Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)

4 ID2 IN Monitor ID Bit 2

5 GND ------ Ground

6 RGND ------ Red Ground

7 GGND ------ Green Ground

8 BGND ------ Blue Ground

9 KEY - Key (No pin)

10 SGND ------ Sync Ground

11 ID0 IN Monitor ID Bit 0

GND= Color; NC= Mono

12 ID1 or SDA IN Monitor ID Bit 1

NC= Color; GND= Mono

Some systems only uses ID0 for monitor ID

13 HSYNC or CSYNC OUT Horizontal Sync (or Composite Sync) Gray or White

14 VSYNC OUT Vertical Sync Black or Yellow

15 ID3 or SCL IN Monitor ID Bit 3

I am also planning on doing my own cables possibly using

Canare V5-5CFB cable and connectors

good luck

carlos_r

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can you be more specific regarding the pin configuration for a skyworth VGA out into a Barco Cine 7 5 BNC?

1. Red - confirm

2. Green - confirm

3. Blue - confirm

6. Red Gr - confirm

7. Green Gr - confirm

8. Blue Gr - confirm

10. Sync Gr - confirm

13. Hsync - confirm

14. Vsync - confirm

Now the important question is: Do I need to join any of the pin no. 4,5,11or 12 together or do I need to connect them to any of the above pin to ground them? Please help, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.