the german import

and the french import ?

i also noticed that theres an australian one as well

but which one is the best to get ?

·
Registered
774 Posts
german release:

there are two of them, which are quite different. one is from Studio Canal, the other one is the Steelbook Edition from Kinowelt. There are are a couple of "Xylon-threads" about the differences in PQ and AQ somewhere on AVS. I don't know what the current consensus regarding PQ is, but I think the Studio Canal version is a bit sharper compared to the the Steelbook edition (I own both). I bought the Studio Canal version from France, which comes as 2 discs (Director's Cut/Theatrical).

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have the UK T2 Director's cut HD DVD. This is supposedly identical to the second disc on the French Studio Canal release.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why is the german one better than the french if the french import comes with 2 versions of the movie ?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tteich /forum/post/15560110

german release:

there are two of them, which are quite different. one is from Studio Canal, the other one is the Steelbook Edition from Kinowelt. There are are a couple of "Xylon-threads" about the differences in PQ and AQ somewhere on AVS. I don't know what the current consensus regarding PQ is, but I think the Studio Canal version is a bit sharper compared to the the Steelbook edition (I own both). I bought the Studio Canal version from France, which comes as 2 discs (Director's Cut/Theatrical).

would you tell me to go for the kinowelt version if I can`t find the studio canal version? what about the extras?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You can search for this but:

The Studio Canal version (French, UK, Australian?) all are the same director's cut. The general consensus is that this version is supreme for picture quality. The 2 disc French version also comes with the theatrical version with forced subtitles that can be moved and shrinked.

The Kinowelt Steelbook version looks to use the Blu-ray source and the PQ is not as good. Where this version shines is with extras and a 7.1 DTS HD soundtrack. The Studio Canal versions all use 5.1 DTS MA lossless.

·
Registered
219 Posts
though choice I have now... I am hooked on steelbooks, but if that one had the best picture quality that would be great.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whats the difference between the directors cut and the theatrical cut ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
directors cut has some extra scenes... the ones i can specifically remember are a scene with john teaching the terminator to smile, a brief dream where sarah is talking to kyle which i think happens shortly before she runs off to try to kill dyson

·
Registered
792 Posts
One of the coolest scenes in the director's cut is where the T-800 instructs Sarah and John to reset his CPU, and they have to cut his scalp back and open a port in his head. While Terminator is disabled, Sarah contemplates destroying the CPU. It's baffling to me that it was cut.

·
Registered
774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmk2 /forum/post/15563375

would you tell me to go for the kinowelt version if I can`t find the studio canal version? what about the extras?

DrCrawn has summarized it very well, from the PQ standpoint the StudioCanal is the better one (go for the french 2 disc version, as it comes in 2 cuts), but you will not be disappointed by the Kinowelt version. Design, extras, and online capabilities are amazing (let's see how long the online features work). I would go for both

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The BD is beaten in PQ by the SD DVD Extreme & bested in SQ by the SD DVD Ultimate (especially the two disc, rarer, version), IMO.

Does the German HD-DVD best "everything" else out there, PQ & SQ-wise?

I own the BD & its good, not great.

Right now, is it the French two-disc for PQ & the German for everything else?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have the 2 disk Studio Canal version, and I am quite happy with it myself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the Steelbook german version, and recently borrowed a work colleague's UK Studio Canal version. The PQ is (to me) much better on the UK version on my 92" screen. When I first watched the German version I was very underwhelmed and thought it that in most places it looked no better than the WMV-HD version that came on disc2 of the Extreme Edition DVD.

But the other night I watched the UK version and thought that it looked more "HD" than the German version. The sound on the UK version also felt more natural, but the German version is more enveloping, i.e. the surrounds are more active - but it sounds a bit forced or false.

Extras are non-existent on the UK version, but great on the steelbook - the HDi interactive and web-features are very good and really shows off the "once" capability of a HD DVD.

For PQ (& maybe AQ) go for the UK / French version (assuming its the same as UK). Extras are all well and good, but not the reason we buy films....well not me anyway!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
WoW

The search for the killer T2 continues (p.i.); BIG thanks for the input!

Enjoy.

(I'm "enjoying" the BD; just wish too find out if an HD DVD was 'perfect')

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the 2-disc Studio Canal version also and it blows away any of the DVD versions I owned. Excellent PQ and the AQ is even better than the DTS track in the Ultimate Edition DVD. The only thing I miss is the special extended edition with the extra scene of the T1000 and the alternate ending, but I can live without it for the jump in PQ the HD DVD has.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks /forum/post/15584722

I have the 2-disc Studio Canal version also and it blows away any of the DVD versions I owned. Excellent PQ and the AQ is even better than the DTS track in the Ultimate Edition DVD. The only thing I miss is the special extended edition with the extra scene of the T1000 and the alternate ending, but I can live without it for the jump in PQ the HD DVD has.

which one has the the special extended edition with the extra scene of the T1000 and the alternate ending ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts