1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Too bad they're only releasing older titles on D-VHS. I wonder if that is deliberate so as to not cut into DVD sales or something.

I'll buy a couple just to check out the video quality. But I'd buy a lot more if they were released concurrent with DVD.

Joe

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Now, if only JVC would build and sell a DVHS unit that most of us could actually use... then maybe those movies would find a ready market? As it is now, how many of us would buy a $2K VHS unit which is only good for HD videotape playback and not for timeshifting HDTV?

Heck, just think of the Killer HTPC (with HiPix card) that you could build for that same amount of money?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
This same topic has been discussed in the HDTV Recording Forum. I sent a P.M. to Alan Gouger last week citing the need for a new "Pre-recorded HDTV" forum, but haven't gotten his response.

This forum confusion will be more of a problem once the D-Theater tapes are for sale. There will be threads on "Nominations for most wanted D-Theater tapes", "Who has the best price on D-Theater tapes?", "Comparison of the D-Theater and DVD versions", etc., etc.

Am I the only one interested in a separate forum?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't understand why they are releasing HD movies on old crusty tape technology. Sure it helps to drive High Def programming, but come on and give us HD-DVD!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I pondered briefly over where to post this news and concluded that a pre-recorded tape of a movie constitutes "programming" and has nothing to do with "recorders" per se.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I disagree. Pre-recorded content is not programming. The word programming implies a schedule of some kind. Pre-recorded HD media in any form belongs in the HDTV Recorders forum. Perhaps that forum could be renamed "Recorded and Pre-recorded HDTV"?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point, Vic. I guess we'll have to let the Moderators issue a ruling on this. And I just noticed a thread on this subject already on the HDTV Recorders Forum, so I'll direct the rest of the discussion there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=137507

...and request that this thread be closed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ummm $2K for a vcr, and $35 for a HD tape? Boy , I can see the people lining up at CC , Best Buy to buy those 2 products!!

Customer: Oh I also need a HD tv to watch these? Another $2K for that?

Geez, why am I even bothering to respond to this thread?

So , does the illegal possibility of copying this to a DVD become possible? Even if it is in 480P! Bootleg dvd's again??

·
Registered
545 Posts
I vote no new forum. We are fragmented enough as it is, we already have

a hdtv recorders forum (which the JVC certainly is), and that does not

get enough traffic.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
PTS: point well taken, but this is obviously a very niche product...if you ever see one at CC or Best Buy, I'll eat my hat.* Believe it or not, there is a lot of pent up demand for this sort of thing in the target segment they are after--HD-DVD is years off, so this is likely going to be the only game in town. This is NOT as product aimed at the crowd just getting into DVDs...this is aimed as the crowd growing tired of the PQ issues inherent with DVDs.

* Offer not valid in Georgia.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So in reference to the question on my reply: Can one copy (ohhhh that dreadful word!) from this tape to a dvd on a dvd recorder? I suspect not!!

But, if so, I have an idea!! I get 20 of my neighboors to pony up $100, we buy a JVC-whatever it is-VCR, then copy to dvd on a DVD recorder, and pass them around to each other! Oh wait, that is illegal!! Ummm , from JVC: guess this was not such a good idea, maybe we should pull this vcr and HD tapes of the market!! Boy sure does sound like Divx, but with a small twist to it.

Guess I am just having a bad day, and venting in fun here!! Just take it that way, everyone!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
PTS: how exactly do you propose to copy something thats on tape onto a computer? And even if you could.. how would you fit it onto a 4.7GB disc? The D-Theater tape runs at 28Mbit/sec.. for 2 hours.. is 25.2GB by my rough calculations.. and even if you did that, what would you play it on? :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was just wondering if there would be some way to play it in the vcr, then copying it to a dvd disc, on DVD recorder? No? Hooking up the vcr to the dvd recorder?

·
Registered
380 Posts
PTS: there are no facilities for hooking up the JVC to a DVD recorder, unless you are one of the ones who has figured out how to make the JVC work with PC firewire. But the point of my post was, what would be the use in doing so? To fit it on the disc (DVD) you'd have to reduce the resolution to DVD-spec or close to it.. and if you're doing that, why not just buy the DVD and save the hassle?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dylan, I was being cute. My question would be just as you said. If I wanted to avoid having to purchase the dvd. I realize that the dvd recorder would NOT record in HD, 1080i. But I presume when you use a dvd recorder, it either records in 480i or 480p. I am not proposing to do this, nor do I have any interest. I was just wondering if this JVC could be used to "copy " off a hd source, even though it would go down to dvd resolution, and create a bootleg dvd disc. That is what I was curious about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Or let me ask you another way. If say Star Wars, or Indiana Jones, or any of the wanted movies that never came out on dvd so far, came out on DVHS, and you wanted/could copy to a dvd, even at lower res.

BUT , I suspect there are copy protection features in this deck. I just was not sure if there are or not.

·
Registered
380 Posts
PTS, I'm sure you could.. this thing has an s-video out.. run that right into your capture card.. w/ 2-channel audio.. voila bootleg DVD.. but so what.. you could do that with a much cheaper DVD player and DVD, today :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
PTS.. there are on the firewire port, I don't think copy protection is really possible on the component ports. Especially not against a computer doing capturing/encoding like you see the internet guys doing.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.