AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Terra outdoor speakers. Each of them is a stereo speaker. I have them connected to a russound cav 6.6 on one zone that supplies 40amps. I have one 16/4 wire going from the cav to one of the speakers then a 16/4 from there to the 2nd speakers. it is about a 100ft total.

I have to turn the volume up almost all the way to get it fairly loud. But when i have a party with a lot of people, it just isnt loud enough. What can/should I do to increase the power to these two speakers and the best way to wire it?

Thanks

Philip

·
Registered
986 Posts
The Russound amp does have much current behind those watts, so you're getting some pretty enimic wattage. with the 100ft of wire and the 16 gauge wire you're loosing alot of volume. Where those same 40 watts will sound good in the house, you have walls that keep the sound in the room. Outdoors there are no walls to contain the sound. The best but not cheapest fix would be to use a higher wattage, high current amp to feed those speakers. Which Terra's do you have?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep /forum/post/16927128

Yea, that would help. You could also bridge the amp for 250w

And if it's not too difficult to do, I'd run some beefier wire as well.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
It's hard to get anything to play loud outside, much less a small set of outdoor speakers. All you can do is add more speakers, buy speakers with higher sensitivity that handle more power, and/or use a beefier amplifier. Outdoor speakers are (generally) for background.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What ^ said. I highly regard as Paul Scarpelli with all of his expert insight to the quality of audio. I have learned a lot from him with our installations of Triads. By the way are an amazing company.

I concur, outdoors are indeed vast. There are many factors which determine how an outdoor system will play. The location, reflections, driver sizes, nodes/ anti-nodes just to name a few. If you are looking for the amphitheater scenario, I would consider using a large array of many speakers. If you are looking for hiqh quality outdoor background music, placing many speakers in key locations are a must. Together they can be manipulated with independent volume controls. Also consider running them as mono. Doing stereo outdoors can be proven difficult.

We use Terra Speakers and Ambisonic Systems (formerly James Loudspeaker) founder, Jeffery "James" Coombs new endeavor. Their 70v is remarkable.

Regards,

Jason Smith, Owner

J/A/V Integrated Systems, LLC
http://www.javsystems.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI.

100 feet of 16gauage wire has about .8 ohms of resistance, which does not bode well with a 4 ohm load (about 20%!! of your power used up by resistance) So it throws away quite a bit of power and wreaks havoc with the "alignment" of the enclosure raising the "Q" and making the bass sound a bit boomier.

I will always suggest a higher gauge wire!

I have Terra 16e's myself running an Adcom 60 wpc amp hooked up with 12ga wire approximately 25' long (only .08 ohm loss) and plays pretty loud. At 3/4 volume (as indicated on the Sonos app driving the amp) and at 30' I have measured 80 to 85 db peaks on the pair. It will play louder of course but I am sure the neighbors might complain....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.