AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The room I am going to be moving my theater system into is 15' long by 14.5' wide by 7.5' tall- essentially a 1/2 cube. From what I understand, this is going to be a nightmare for bass, and if I clap my hands in the room it definitely seems to have a lot of echo (there is already carpet and an L-shaped couch in the room). How should I go about acoustic treatments for this room to make it sound as good as possible?

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 /forum/post/17014078

The room I am going to be moving my theater system into is 15' long by 14.5' wide by 7.5' tall- essentially a 1/2 cube. From what I understand, this is going to be a nightmare for bass, and if I clap my hands in the room it definitely seems to have a lot of echo (there is already carpet and an L-shaped couch in the room). How should I go about acoustic treatments for this room to make it sound as good as possible?

Have you read the Acoustical Treatments Master Thread which is a 'sticky' at the top of this forum? I believe your post might be better served if you were to ask your question there after reading at least a few pages to begin to gain an insight into what you might have to do with your room.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read the first 30 or so pages, and the information in it is very useful in theory, but extremely difficult for me to wrap my head around and apply to my particular situation. I was hoping someone could chime in with recommendations more specific to my room, especially in the area of bass reproduction.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Do a search for free software called REW ... each room is different ( size/shape/equiptment etc etc ) so you need to take measurements of YOUR room to determine what is needed and where.

Bass trapping is a must ... so think of every intersecting corner as a possible way to do bass trapping

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
1. Have a read of the last few pages in the Mater Thread - some good debate etc - also has details of Toole's book, which I suggest you read.

2. Room sounds like a right royal pain, hire a professional - but educate yourself first

Can you put a false wall in at say 12ft width...I know this seriously limits things but it might help - also gives you a nice place for a rack etc (depends how many people you want in there etc I personally think that 15ft is a superb width for a 4 seat row)....on second thoughts just hire a pro, there must be a treatment option out there.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It depends on what you want to spend and what your expectations are. If you read the sticky thread, you will get a lot of good ideas for best practices that will go a long way to cutting your slap echo problem.

Don't get too hung up on the room size.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 /forum/post/17015864

I have read the first 30 or so pages, and the information in it is very useful in theory, but extremely difficult for me to wrap my head around and apply to my particular situation.

This might be more useful for you. It's still a lot to absorb, but it's much more coherent, and all signal with no noise:

Acoustics FAQ

--Ethan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts