AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I tried searching for what I'm having problems with but I didn't see any posts that were similiar. If I overlooked the results or didn't search properly please redirect me.

I have a Rear Projection LCD TV (SONY KDF-E50A10). It's a very good TV, and I am happy with it.

I recently hooked up a box so I could receieve the digital channels that my parents get on their existing service. At first I couldn't get all the channels because my cable was too old. It was no suprise to me that the cable in the wall was old, I thought thats what explained the terrible picture quality on regular cable. (Aparantly the digital signals use a newer cable called RG6) So I bought a 50ft RG6 cable from monoprice. I was expecting a clear digital signal on my tv, but I get a static dull picture that looks no better than my original regular cable that I had.

Is it possible that I bought a cheap cable? Is it because my TV is too big? Is the cable too long? My CRT TV upstairs looks crisp and clear and my new cable is plugged into the same splitter. What could be the problem?

I bought this

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
448 Posts
Your problem is that you are watching SD cable on an HDTV. Think about what happens when you take a cell phone picture and blow it up on your PC monitor. It gets fuzzy and blurry. SD cable simply doesn't look very good on an HD set and a new coax cable isn't going to change that.

Do you have a cable box from the cable company? If so, are you sure it's an HD box? If it does not have component video (Red,Green,Blue) and/or HDMI then it is not an HD box. Even with the HD box SD channels will not look as good as they do on your old TV. The SD cable signal is 480i and that matches the old TV perfectly. It has to be scaled up to fit the screen on the HD set and that is why it does not look as good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts