AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hooked up a RS double bow tie antenna to my new DTC100 yesterday thinking that after all the things I have read on this board this miracle antenna would provide me with lots of HDTV programs but nadda... All I get is CBS (WKRC) and that's it! All other digital channels (FOX19, ABC, NBC) have such a low signal strength that the DTC can't lock on the signal. The signal bounces from 0 - max. 30. Sometimes it will go up to 35 so I actually get to see a picture for a few seconds. I've tried different locations for the antenna even put it outside on my balcony but no improvement. Would a pre-amplifier do any good in a situation like this ???

-Marc

·
Registered
98 Posts
Someone recommended I use the RS 15-1170 Inline Signal Amplifier for $30, which is double the cost of the Bowtie. I'm going to a rooftop, so I decided nah!

I receive only one station with the bowtie at about 64 signal strength and I'm just two miles from the transmitter here in S.F.

If you can't do a rooftop, give it a try, it might help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Forrest Park right off of the Mt. Healthy I-275 exit. Unfortunatly I live in an apartment so a rooftop antenna is not an option for me =(

I just went to Radio Shack and bought the inline amp. Hope this will fix the issue.

-Marc

·
Registered
119 Posts
MarcW- I don't doubt that you are having trouble with the Cinti ABC affiliate's DTV signal: WCPO-DT is VHF channel 10 - not a good match for a UHF indoor antenna. Most likely your problems with the other UHF DTV channels have a lot to do with multipath. That will be difficult to deal with in a multi-unit apartment building. You may want to check out WHIO-DT 41 out of Dayton just for grins - they have been operating full time since last Thursday. The point being that there may be less multipath when you are receiving a signal from the north.

You are not missing much with WLWT-DT NBC 35 - they still don't pass anything but NTSC upconverts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Akenyon,

The only signal I get reliably is WKRC which ironically is the only station that Time Warner Cable passes through as 8VSB on 82.1

After some couple hours of moving the antenna around I do get NBC with a strength around 45-50 and Fox19 with roughly the same signal strenght. My DTC-100 found that Dayton channel you mentioned on 41 but the signal bounces anywhere from 0 to 30 and is too weak. Any idea what sort of indoor antenna would be good to receive ABC in this area ?

Thanks,

-Marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.