AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I have a Denon 4520 receiver that I will be using as a pre-amp for the front channels into an Emotiva XPA-3 amp.

The Denon has red/white RCA outputs for the pre-out, but the amp only has one RCA input. Should I use a y-connector for the amp? Or just white to white and no cable to the red out?

Sorry for the stupid question!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Hey all...

I have a Denon 4520 receiver that I will be using as a pre-amp for the front channels into an Emotiva XPA-3 amp.

The Denon has red/white RCA outputs for the pre-out, but the amp only has one RCA input. Should I use a y-connector for the amp? Or just white to white and no cable to the red out?

Take another look. There is one preamp output per channel on the receiver. Some are white and some are red for whatever reason but each is marked. It is important to use the right output for the right channel. The amp should have one input per channel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey all...

Take another look. There is one preamp output per channel on the receiver. Some are white and some are red for whatever reason but each is marked. It is important to use the right output for the right channel. The amp should have one input per channel.
You are absolutely right. I knew it was a stupid question. I was thrown off by the paired red/white and didn't look closely enough!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The red and white output jacks on the Denon are just to differentiate right and left channels respectively. The centre channel only has a white output jack.

You'll use jacks labelled FR, FL and C to hook up to the Emotiva. Simple! ;)

That Denon is quite a powerful 4Ω rated AVR. Do your listening habits, distance to the seats &/or speaker sensitivity really warrant the addition of a power amp? :)

Edit: Too slow with my answer. :eek:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The red and white output jacks on the Denon are just to differentiate right and left channels respectively. The centre channel only has a white output jack.

You'll use jacks labelled FR, FL and C to hook up to the Emotiva. Simple!

That Denon is quite a powerful 4? rated AVR. Do your listening habits, distance to the seats &/or speaker sensitivity really warrant the addition of a power amp?

Edit: Too slow with my answer.
Thanks for posting anyhow!

Great question about the need for an amp with that receiver.

We are running JBL Pro 4722's and a 3677 for the center, so a dedicated amp with higher output is advantageous.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Thanks for posting anyhow!

Great question about the need for an amp with that receiver.

We are running JBL Pro 4722's and a 3677 for the center, so a dedicated amp with higher output is advantageous.

Thanks again!
why is greater power advantageous? What if you only need half a watt for average levels and 10 or 20 watts for peaks given the speakers you own? Do you believe JBLs have some sensory organ that allows them to identify amps with more potential power, and that they will perform differently when the amp has more unneeded power? That is, is 10 watts from a 20 watt amp any different from 10 watts form a 100 watt amp? Check Ohm's law before you leap to the impossible conclusion I carried in my head for a couple of decades.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
What they're trying to say is you have exceptionally sensitive speakers (104db :eek:) and an outboard amp is not needed to drive those speakers to ear-bleeding levels. But, since you already have it, you may as well use it (unless returning it is still an option :confused:).

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Yeah! I love it when we save people money. We usually like to spend other folks' money around here. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts