AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Just sent a 1 minute clip to each of those replay ids ('office' and 'bedroom', right?). Looks good - on my end it shows as having found both of those machines. So all you need to do is to go into your replay guide, scroll over to the 'received' column and accept the transfer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was fast!! Thanks a lot, Alan. I needed to make sure that things were working prior to my asking on Yahoo for some unviewed West Wing episodes (lost in my Showstopper crash).

BTW, my recollection is that it's normal for transfers to sit on 0 MB for up to an hour, right?? Thanks again,

Roy

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It can take anywhere from 0 to 30 minutes before the download starts in earnest. I sent you a very short clip (1 minute of medium quality I think), so once it starts it should be over pretty fast (10 minutes or so?).

Did it work?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both worked, but took way longer than ten minutes. Seemed to come in 4M chunks, with about 5 minutes (or more) between each chunk. Does this mean I have a problem somewhere? I had tested internal IVS a few days ago, and I think a 30 minute show took less time than that 1 minute clip.

Roy

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
rjj,

I don't think the fact that it took so long is a 'problem'. More likely either your connection d/l had a problem, or more likely the senders upload had a problem; you're capped by the speed of the slowest connection. That could be your d/l (not likely) or the sender's upload (more likely).

I sent you a 3 minute clip at medium quality to both your Replay's. If you accept these, let me know how long it took to download on your end. I've been having some problems with my upload speeds, and I'm curious to see how it's affecting others.

BTW, I'm on an ADSL 1500/256; soon to be 1500/384. I want to see what the difference will be between now and when it get's upgraded to 384.

**I just thought of something else. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I would imagine that the activity on the Replays would also play a part in determining how 'efficiently' a transfer goes through. I would assume that if one of the Replays (either the sending unit or the receiving one) could affect the speed depending on what they where doing at the time of transfer. Say I sent you a clip, then when you went to download it, I was both watching and recording a show on my unit, and maybe someone else was on the LAN, it would affect the transfer rate.

I'm just guessing here, but would be interested in hearing more knowledgeable users opinions on this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chain777,

OK, here are the results...

clip one

I d/l'ed this last night, while the unit was not recording....while I did not get an exact start time (due to the delays in a transfer actually starting). the last 30MB took 21 minutes (1.43 MB/minute).

clip two

I d/l'ed this morning. The unit was recording for the first 36MB of the d/l. I have good timings for 28 MB of that recording, which took 19 minutes (1.47 MB/minute). The remaining 14MB, while the unit was not recording, took 10 minutes (1.4MB/minute). Overall, I have timings for 46MB in 32 minutes (1.44 MB/minute).

Clearly not a statistically significant sample, but the fact that I was recording during part of the d/l did NOT seem to affect d/l speed.

Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.