AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
This thread has me thinking and my wallet shrinking. I've been really happy with my HD-A1 to Ruby but I had been considering a scaler to improve SD-DVD. I'm planning on adding Dish soon

which will probably drive me nuts w/o a video processor.


If I upgrade to the XA2 for all dvd viewing what would be the best bang for the buck processor to add for SD satellite sources? Folks have hinted about this in this thread but a processor/XA2 combo may be the ticket for many.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I have an Oppo and am curious if the upconversion on this XA2 is markedly better? I'm on the fence on whether or not to get the XA2 and sell the Oppo or save several hundred and get the lower Toshiba A20 model when it comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound /forum/post/0


I have an Oppo and am curious if the upconversion on this XA2 is markedly better? I'm on the fence on whether or not to get the XA2 and sell the Oppo or save several hundred and get the lower Toshiba A20 model when it comes out.

I think most people who have posted in this thread will tell you the XA2 is

much better than the Oppo. The Reon chip in the XA2 does a tremendous

job of upconversion.


Note: I think the Oppo is very good and most people would be satisfied with

it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
I know this may already have discussed, but if a couple of folks who have replaced their first gen A1 with the XA2 could reply, I'd appreciate it:


My A1 does a tremendous job of upconverting regular SD DVDs. Question, then--would it be worth it to replace it with the XA2 for that function? I don't have a giant screen or a projector. I DO have a new Sammy 61" DLP set.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I had the A1 and now have the XA2 and have over 2500 SD discs and wanted it mainly for that reason and I believe it does a better job, but thats my opinion, I think well worth it for audio too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyboy /forum/post/0


I had the A1 and now have the XA2 and have over 2500 SD discs and wanted it mainly for that reason and I believe it does a better job, but thats my opinion, I think well worth it for audio too.

tinyboy,


It would be super if you would elaborate on the specific improvements around SD PQ and AQ as well. What TV and how are you connecting? I also have the HD-A1 using 480p analog to a 38" CRT and am impressesd with SD PQ and AQ. I also had the Reon based 2930 which as impressive for both as well. I do recall that the 2930 was cleaner and more refined than the A1, but not as sharp. I'm trying to understand if the XA2 provides the best of both worlds -- the sharpness of the A1 with the refinement of the Reon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I would like to see the Arcam DV139 vs Crystallio2 vs XA2. Has anybody seen the Arcam on action. From what I heard it may be the last universal player one will need,together of course with a quality HD player.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover /forum/post/0


Seems to me that the XA2 with the SO Reon is essentially a high-end dvd player with a mid-level price and a free hd dvd player thrown in for good measure

Absolutely right



Lore- Thanks for this thread! It is very informative and makes good reading!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave /forum/post/0


I know this may already have discussed, but if a couple of folks who have replaced their first gen A1 with the XA2 could reply, I'd appreciate it:


My A1 does a tremendous job of upconverting regular SD DVDs. Question, then--would it be worth it to replace it with the XA2 for that function? I don't have a giant screen or a projector. I DO have a new Sammy 61" DLP set.


Thanks.

I did the same thing, went from the A1 to the XA2.


usability is much improved, obviously, as the unit handles the discs more quickly. My main reasons where the image adjustment tools in the player, the wider color options, the coming 1080p24 support, and , apparently, the DTS HD MA decoding. For the money, this thing is unbeatble. I had always considered Denon my reference for upscaling players but this offering outperforms those, at a much lower price.


Oh yah - and it plays HD DVDs too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMcCarthy /forum/post/0


Has anyone tried XA2 through HDMI to DVI conversion?

Is the picture compromised at all?


Chris

Hi Chris,


There appears to be an HDMI to DVI conversion problem. I personally don't have technical background in this subject, but here's a thread that touches on the subject.

Toshiba XA2 - Problems Only


It is believed that when connected via HDMI to DVI the HD-XA2 behaves like the three other Toshiba players and sends PC RGB levels to the projector instead of video levels.


I don't know whether this issue is technically a "Black Crush" issue as stated by videonut in the thread, but I agree with his observations that it seems that even though the HD-XA2 has picture controls to permit adjustments in Contrast and Brightness, it is not possible to adjust both controls to their proper settings. I can get the Black Levels correct, but I can't get the White Levels correct, the whites are crushed. I used both an upconverted standard definition Avia calibration disc, and the video test signal on the French release of Total Recall. (The European releases of Studio Canal titles have an HD video test signal for setting Contrast and Brightness.)


Note:

I have an InFocus projector which is know to have accurate calibrations "out of the box". However, I should point out that it has not been professionally calibrated. Although the lack of a professional calibration may require taking my observations with a "grain of salt", nevertheless, it is important to note that the Contrast and Brightness settings are significantly different via component video versus HDMI to DVI. The fact that the PC RGB level problem isn't supposed to effect component video means that this observation bolsters the contention that there is a problem with the HDMI to DVI video.


Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,324 Posts
Currently I have a Denon 2910 that I use to up-scale SD DVD's. Does anyone have any experience with the XA2 and how it compares to the 2910 for up-scaling SD-DVD's... or for that matter, the 3910 as well since they are about equal.



Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 /forum/post/0


Currently I have a Denon 2910 that I use to up-scale SD DVD's. Does anyone have any experience with the XA2 and how it compares to the 2910 for up-scaling SD-DVD's... or for that matter, the 3910 as well since they are about equal.



Craig

I had a Denon 2910 and my XA1 was far superior in upscaling SD DVDs. With the additional features and new chip in the XA2, the difference should be even greater.


web
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata /forum/post/0


tinyboy,


It would be super if you would elaborate on the specific improvements around SD PQ and AQ as well. What TV and how are you connecting? I also have the HD-A1 using 480p analog to a 38" CRT and am impressesd with SD PQ and AQ. I also had the Reon based 2930 which as impressive for both as well. I do recall that the 2930 was cleaner and more refined than the A1, but not as sharp. I'm trying to understand if the XA2 provides the best of both worlds -- the sharpness of the A1 with the refinement of the Reon.

I would really like to know this too! and how does an A1 compare to an HD-E1? some seem to think that the A1 is sharper but others dont., would it seem possible that when buying a HD-E1 you would sit there and think its not sharp enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,049 Posts
Is there a very significant difference between the upscaling capabilities of the A2 vs. XA2 when it comes to standard def DVDs?


Is the A2 capable of outputting 480i over HDMI? If so do you think the Gennum chip in the JVC RS1 could do a similar job to the upscaling of the XA2?


I'm just trying to decide if the XA2 is really worth nearly double the price of the A2, especially considering how fast the market is moving. I know the XA2 is better than the A2 but if the A2 is "good enough" in this respect than that would be the more ideal choice for me at the moment. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound /forum/post/0


If your display is not a HDTV display and can only do 480i, there is no point in getting any HD dvd player.

No, my display is capable of 1080p. My question is whether you can tell the A2 to output 480i over HDMI, so that I can let my pj using a Gennum chip do the scaling and deinterlacing, bypassing that of the player itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
The European HD E1 (which is our version of the A2) can output 480i and 576i through HDMI. I use 576i for my PAL sd dvd's because my projector (Mitsubhish HC 5000) has the Silicon Optix Reon VX chip and I prefer that one to do the scaling and de-interlacing. So hopefully (in your case) the HD A2 does the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/0


Is there a very significant difference between the upscaling capabilities of the A2 vs. XA2 when it comes to standard def DVDs?

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/0


Is the A2 capable of outputting 480i over HDMI? If so do you think the Gennum chip in the JVC RS1 could do a similar job to the upscaling of the XA2?

No


JMO - FWIW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I, too, have been considering the ARCAM universal player. As much for SD upconversion as audio. I understand the audio output is truly outstanding, although the SD-up may not be as good as the A2. I am an audiophile first. ALSO - I have been considering the new LUMAGEN processor for Direct TV, Is this really necessary if I take advise here and go straight from HD player to my Sim2 projector. Experience? Thougths?
 
181 - 200 of 291 Posts
Top