AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice from you experts....

I am beginning a home theater construction project, but before I drive the first nail, I want to determine screen size and seating distance. The theater will be 15 x 28 x 9 with 2 rows of seating. I have ordered a Panny AE700. It's my first projector, so I have no clue what screen size and seating distance I am going to prefer. I intend to do many hours of testing to figure that out.

My idea is to use some sort of "temporary" screen that is suitable size-wise just to see how large I want to go. I do not have a finished wall that I could just paint and project onto. Everything is still just open stud walls. This screen material should be easily moveable so that I can test various viewing heights as well as size, so weight is a factor. Might even try some of the paint formulas just for fun. The only ideas I've come up with so far are BOC or a large piece (10' x 5') of gatorfoam.

BTW, this "test screen" is just phase 1, as once I am satisfied with the size, I will take a crack at doing a Light Fusion for the finished theater room.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

OldRedtop

· Registered
389 Posts
If you're just "testing" to determine screen placement and size, is it safe to assume that you're not concerned with actually using this screen in the interim before your room is totally built out? Then you could just go ahead and hang up some sheets to cover the wall just so you have a surface to project onto. If you cover the entire wall, you won't need to worry about "moving" the screen. Just determine the placement of the projector.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, gambit.

Actually, I am looking to go slightly beyond just "testing". You know how it is with a new projector, especially your first....:D

It would be nice to have something good enough to enjoy the features of the projector and still be able to test different sizes and wall positions. In essence, it will serve as a prototype for sizing the Light Fusion. I have plenty of wall, but no experience with projectors. I'm certain I have much to learn, but I'm sure that with all of the helpful souls on this forum, I will not be re-inventing too many wheels! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.