1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Preditor
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are large downloads (100MB +) but here are two files:

Jawfish Clip

Test Clips

All of this was shot in Monterey Bay, California. Sorry, tried to be as steady as possible, but thanks to our friends at American Airlines and the TSA, my bag with the tripod wasn't on my flight (and didn't arrive until nearly 18 hours later). So much for matching bags with passengers.

There are some quick clips in HDTest: Jellyfish and a tropical tank at the Monterey aquarium, flag test (for the Faroudja fanatics), Lamborghini Gallardo.

The second clip is just of a "Jawfish" at the aquarium. One of the better shots.

Camera was fully automatic mode since I didn't have all day to frig with the controls.

I plan to keep these up for 24-36 hours, and then am yanking them. If someone would like to host these clips (Zipped up), you have my permission to download then host them on your website/ftp.

Hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
My HiDTV card plays them just fine, though with no sound. If you rename the file extension to .trp then WinDVD will probably play them also.

bwiklem -

That jawfish reminds me of Oscar the Grouch. Great sample, thanks for posting.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They play fine on a MyHD card as well. WinDVD does work too (renaming them with trp extensions...) but I couldn't get the aspect ratio right.

In any case, they look fantastic! I didn't get the Jawfish one downloaded before you took them off your server but the others look amazing! What I want to know is where is this jitter problem everybody keeps talking about? The motion looks fine to me. Am I missing something? I held off buying one of these a month ago because of this issue but it sure looks fine to me.

-- Gary

·
Preditor
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GGoodrum
What I want to know is where is this jitter problem everybody keeps talking about? The motion looks fine to me. Am I missing something? I held off buying one of these a month ago because of this issue but it sure looks fine to me.

-- Gary
Keep in mind my test footage either a)has no motion, or b) very little motion. The flag demo has the most motion.

Where the JVC falls down is when there is a lot of motion, or when you are panning (which I avoided)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Even still, I think it looks fine. Can you do a worse case test? I'd really like to see how bad it can be. I certainly don't see any jitter in the flag clip.

Also, what are you using to edit? Is Vegas Video 4.0 compatible?

Thanks -- Gary

·
Preditor
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to do it later, it's my boss's camera (borrowed it for the weekend) because I wanted him to take the plunge first.

On my D-ILA and Sony HDM-2830, the footage looks okay to great, but on a Pioneer 50" Plasma, practically all the footage looked great. I think the 1080i conversion of the footage sucks, and to get the most out of the camera you should run it on a 720p display (native)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Brain, yep, motion and panning is where my first hand experience with the JVC feel flat on its face!!! I was ready to buy until I saw this. Meaning, I was considering losing the low light plus of the sonys, but after what I saw, I am now going to wait for the new PD170P from Sony that will come out by the end of the year.

Dave

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Duke of Doubt is my name... :)

I'd also like to see some of this worst case scenario footage as well. I've seen tons of car shots, blowing wind, people riding bikes, fish swimming, trains moving at high rates and I've yet to see this as a phenomal problem. Maybe I'm not as critical as most and just yearn for an HD video cam who knows. I know what I see and I've yet to see anything but great shots from this camera. Granted no fast pans, but as a super amateur I'd like to know who does fast pans anyway?

Quote:
I am now going to wait for the new PD170P from Sony that will come out by the end of the year.
You're going to wait on another regular DV cam amidst the myriad of DV cams already available and just skip pass HD? Sounds peculiar to me, especially given the fact that even the new generation HD cams are in the works. Hmmm. To each his own. Out of curiosity, do you use your equipment for anything other than home/hobby material? I'd guess you'd have to if your waiting for a $3,000 + DV cam right?

Troy

Still watching his pennies for a JY-HD10U. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm with you, Troy. I really want one of these beasts but I need to see the worts case of what this "jitter" problem is all about. What I've seen so far isn't bad at all.

-- Gary

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Here are a couple of short clips I shot with my HD1 both hand held. The second clip has a lot of camera motion and was shot on a floating pier.

Demo 1

Demo 2

Mike

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Troy, my pans were very slow. Again, I tried it before I bought and am sure glad I did. Maybe you will have better luck. When one throws in the new processes for editing, no thanks. I will let you guys be the early adopters on this one!!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.