AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
27,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casper DTS DVD comes out today. This soundtrack is the enigma for subwoofers. Most here know I am a bass fanatic but this bass tone is off the charts in terms of power / impact.

I thought this release is very appropriate on this forum as many, myself included, recognize the Casper LD DTS mix as having the most powerful bass blast of any soundtrack ever released.

It is the wrecking ball scene early in the movie. The large, stone ball crashes from a crane to the ground and the bass generated is potentially system damaging.

My subs are about as beefy / invulnerable as can be purchased and though I am sure they would do fine, I can't bring myself to crank up this scene. The thought of this tone at a high level is plain terrifying! Many here will need to turn their subs down (unless their sub(s) are unable to get down to 20-25 hz to reproduce this tone - so, if, the sub(s) can't reach to that depth, there will be no damage).

Yes, I have played The Haunting DTS at reference, U-571 at past reference, Jurrasic park LD at reference (very hot mix), and LOTR past reference and Saving Private Ryan DTS at reference with all processor protection mechanisms off and they played easily / flawlessly by my subs - zero distress. Levels / peaks well over 110 db at the seating area.

*Caveat.....I haven't yet demo'd the new DTS DVD, so the mix (bass) may have been toned down (and my precautions unwarranted). I plan on picking this DVD up and comparing levels to my DTS LD copy.

Bottom line, a great movie, a great surround mix, but be VERY CAREFUL with your sub levels at the particular scene.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Someone might need to go to his house to make sure he is OK. I've read about his setup. He very well might have blown himself through the back wall of his home theater. If he did, I bet he died with a smile on his face. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
a scene from "Back to The Future" comes to mind.. :D

·
Registered
27,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys,

Didn't make it to the video store yesterday but hope to get it tomorrow.

If you don't here from me, send help! ;)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Might be time for the second K2 Jeff! ;-)

FYI- Mid October I'll have some mains which might let the subs stretch some more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A second K-2?? Will that really give me the ultimate??? Ability to handle 4000W peaks vs. 1000 peaks??!!

Looking forward to the new Servodrive fronts!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
With the second K2 you can bridge them mono. You'd only have 2,500 Watts/sub, 5KW for the system.

Might not be able to play the subs and run the lights at the same time ;)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Hah U-571 is the last time i buy a movie simply because it has good bass.

The depiction of sub battles were so unrealistic I had to laugh.

Now all the sudden its Casper the friendly ghost? I cant remember that being a good movie either. Oh well, you Bass-heads have fun :)

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
John,

If you want good bass, Das Boot is pretty good. As a movie, it is exceptional and one of the best submarine movies of all time.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Yeah it is a pain to buy a dog of a movie just to get a "reference clip" for either video or audio.

Speaking of Das Boot ( great film ) there is a scene where the sub is on the surface crashing through a storm and it generates some good sustained LFE.

I watched clips of LOTR yesterday and had the Rat-Shack SPL meter handy.

During the Mines or Moria scene, I was getting 110 - 115 db, though I don't know how accurate the Rat-Shack meter is for such a scene. I would not want to turn up the V anymore as that is already overly plenty loud.

- Andy

·
Registered
27,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Casper is a cute film. If you have kids that are younger (mine are 6 and 8), it is one of their favorites and they are eagerly anticipating the purchase as they were recently watching my Casper LD when laser rot struck mid way thru the film and laid that LD to rest.

The bass from LOTR and Das Boot is not of the same magnitude as is the Casper LD. Casper's bass is way more potent and potentially damaging.

We'll soon see.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Well Jeff, you convinced me to go buy Casper DTS this weekend.

Like they say in the movie FUBAR -> " JUST GIVE 'ER "

( FUBAR = hilarious "mockumentary" about Canadian headbangers circa 1983'ish )

- Andy

·
Registered
633 Posts
I watched a movie last night that was completely terrible, but had some decent bass presentation...

"The Transporter". I have no idea how Jason Statham got roped into that horrible film, but there are a few scenes with some decent bass, and the sound track playing throughout the movie has plenty of its own.

-Nathan

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
TheBland,

One more thing...Since you have your subs behind your screen, does it ever blur your image when there is a lot of bass?

I have heard rumors that lower frequencies 8-16Hz require larger rooms for their full wavelength. Have you tried really low frequency tones in a smaller room vs in your large HT room with your subs? Is there any truth to this rumor?

·
Registered
27,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Max,

My installer has measured well below 20 hz in my room. Even though the room is 32 ft long, we can measure the low, low frequencies. I don't know the physics behind why a relatively small room can reproduce large bass waaves, but it happens.

Regarding the large movement of air, my screen is microperfed and I believe that the sieve like factor of the screen keeps it stable.

BTW - I don't have the Telarc disc but I'll keep an eye out for it. What's on it??

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.