Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've posted this already in the LD & DVD hardware forum, but believe that here's where the real audio hardcore folks hang out. :D

I'm thinking of having him mod a Kenwood 5900M to improve its sound output. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your advice. If you'd like more details, here's a link to my other thread on this topic.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=140725

TIA.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Brett, Dan did my Perp Tech P-3A upgrade a while back without a hitch. His upgrade is being recognized by Perp Tech not to void the warranty and for them to incorporate it on their future models. I've signed on for the Pioneer all purpose player upgrade hopefully will come soon.

PF

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dan did his Signature "Plus" mods to my Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC & I couldn't be happier with the quality of his work or customer service.

As far as the effect of his mods to your Kenwood 5900M are concerned, I don't know. There is one thing you might want to consider. I have never heard anyone say that his mods were not effective, much less make the unit sound worse.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking of having him mod a Kenwood 5900M to improve its sound output. Any thoughts on that?
Have you asked him about that? I've never heard of him doing a 5900 before and I believe he has stated he no longer mods changers. Of course, I could be wrong about all that.

Modding a piece of electronic gear isn't just a matter of applying a generic recipe. There's a certain amount of R&D involved with the first mods to a given model. On future units, you can follow a (non-generic) recipe once you know what works and what doesn't. Personally, I'd rather have someone else pay for the R&D, and see how it goes for them, than be the first guinea pig at shop rate. But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input!

Sounds good... but looks like it's a no go, unless Dan has a change of heart: too busy for any custom work is the news from the source. :(

Has anyone else had experience with the Kenwood Sovereign's audio output? I've heard reports that its DVD audio sound quality is good, but not from audio types... Mine is currently in the US, where it was recently modded for multiregion capability by JVB Digital (yes catapult, I was the happy guinea pig). ;)

I was hoping that I could have its audio output tweaked by Dan prior to bringing this unit home to Paris - it is destined to be hooked up to custom made Yves Cochet power amps and speakers (Dan would know) so the output quality at the source is something best optimized first.

TIA.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Stan Warren is considered by many to be the grand master of mods. He was the S in the original PS Audio (famous CD transports). Now he runs a low-key mod business. You might give him a call and see if he'd work on a 5900. No website but you can do a search over at Audio Asylum to find his phone number. The only thing is I've heard he's slow, especially on custom work, but I've also heard his work is top-notch and his prices are very reasonable. If you can stand to be without the unit for a while, he might be a good bet.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Catapult,

Actually Dan referred me to either Richard Kern or Stan Warren - so I'll pursue such possibilities. Stan Warren has quite a history of mods and designs - as of today I am less familiar with Richard Kern's work, although he is highly lauded in the forums.

Cheers,

·
Registered
488 Posts
hello,

could someone fill me in on a broader scope of what people are doing with "mods"? -- like 'what' are people tweeking?

thanks!

brandon

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dan modded my Pioneer DV414 DVD player about 2 years ago. This was before he went into actual business as ModWrights.

He does great work and turned a decent 414 player into a very smooth CDP transport for me. The unit sings to this day.

He also ( indirectly) got me to bite the bullet and order an Audience Powerchord. He really has a keen sense about audio and his mods are really well researched. Having a good ear helps him too, I would guess.

And he is a class act, having exchanged some private e-mails with him due to events over at AA.

Anyway, if you do get one of his standard equipment mods (the units he lists for modding ), you will not be dissappointed.

BOK

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just had my SONY DVP-S9000ES modified by Dan about 1 month ago. The differences are not subtle. Sonically, the player has a lot more details and the sound stage become more coherent with all the music seems to play together now, not individual sounds. This applies to both transport and player mode. Sound become more dynamic and more very tight bass. Although Dan did not modify any of the video circuits, probably because two bybees were added to the AC main in, the video out become more detailed, much better contrast and better black level. Overall, I am very pleased with the performance gain, both sonically and visually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.