AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating a two-round-dish HDTV DirecTV install and want to try to see what kind of a lock I can get onto the 119 satellite before actually taking the plunge of buying an HDTV STB.

Could I theoretically point a round dish at the 119 bird and hook it up to a DirecTV receiver to get a signal strength reading? Or will the non-HDTV receivers ignore the 119 satellite? If I can do this, must the receiver be a newer "Plus" model, or will an older non-plus model work?

I have an UltimateTV which I think acts as a Plus receiver. Or I think it would be simpler to just use an older Hughes non-Plus receiver I have lying about.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Use the old receiver. It will give you a good idea of your signal strength. I just went through something similar. I used an old Dish Network to site in the 119 satellite and then later hooked it up to a Toshiba DST3000 HD receiver. It worked fine.

Al Keown

·
Registered
198 Posts
It will work with any DirecTV receiver. Be sure to check signal strength on transponders 22 to 32 only. Transponders 1 to 21 will show no signal - they are used by Dish Network.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Al.

Will this work with an older DirecTV receiver though? Older Dish receivers I could see working since Dish has programming on 119. But aren't all of the older DirecTV receivers expecting to just lock onto the 101 satellite?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if I am missing something here...let me know if I need to try something different.

For reference, I have exactly the setup in diagram 104 of http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/twodish.htm well, there is one exception...I don't have a power supply on my multiswitch, it didn't need one before. Does it need one for some reason now in this scenario?

The multiswitch was already in place before embarking on this testing escapade and working flawlessly. I am using the Eagle Aspen 22KHz switch.

I have taken the output of the 22KHz switch and plugged it into my UltimateTV receiver. I told the UTV receiver I have an oval dish pointing at 2 satellites, and it lets me review signal strength for either satellite.

The 101 satellite is still all locked on as it was before.

The 119 satellite shows very strong (88 - 95) signals on 119 transponders 30 and 32, but fluctuating, non-lockable signals varying from 15 to 60 in strength on the other transponders (22 - 29 and 31).

What is interesting is the UTV says "Wrong Sat - DIRECTV SAT-C" when locked onto 119 transponder 32. Is this some clue as to what is wrong?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help Kevin and Al. I think I've got it nailed now. Showing solid locks on all transponders for 119 with it being identified as "SAT-B" and no "wrong satellite" errors reported. And I could watch NASA TV. Guess I can go ahead and make my decision on STB now. Thinking of the Toshiba.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just attempted this setup and I think that I am pointing at the correct satellite. I am getting very strong signals from transponders 22 thru 32 (high 80's). I am using an older Sony receiver.

The channels that I see in the guide are 100, 421(TWCS),438(CLAR),439(ILFE), 560-567 (Local stations), 659-698(Local stations).

Am I pointed at the correct satellite? Once I hook up the 22kHz switch with my dish signal from 101 satellite to a STB will I see HDnet and HBO-HD?

Thanks in advance!

Justin Miller

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.