AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend a simple way of determining whether my PARTICULAR tv set (ooops, sorry, "panel") is fine or is a lemon?

I've read hours of threads here, and much of it is beyond my comprehension. I just bought a Vizio VL470M and am wondering if it's working right. I looked at the thread on downloading a calibration disk, and that's REALLY beyond my comprehension.

The review at http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...omparisons.htm

was a little disturbing UNTIL I read it CAREFULLY.

With the same cable video feed to the VL470M and my 12 year old 32" SonyXBR (the $2500, 240 pound, laboratory monitor, separate tuner CRT version), VL470M--the actor was wearing a solid brown sport coat and the sky behind was white. CRT--the actor was wearing a brown HERRINGBONE sport coat and the sky was a realistic blue with some white clouds. To be fair to the VL470M, I don't yet have an HD cable box, but I sure seem to be missing some picture quality details. I did play around with the advance settings, but I never got the HERRINGBONE and realistic blue sky with some white clouds, at the same time.

I'm sure some of you will prefer Sammy or Panny or Hitachi or Sony.... that's not the issue here. I'm getting HDMI cables tomorrow, and I have an upconverting DVD player. Can someone recommend a simple way of determining whether this PARTICULAR tv set (ooops, sorry, "panel") is fine or is a lemon?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane32XBR /forum/post/18270818

Can someone recommend a simple way of determining whether my PARTICULAR tv set (ooops, sorry, "panel") is fine or is a lemon?

I've read hours of threads here, and much of it is beyond my comprehension. I just bought a Vizio VL470M and am wondering if it's working right. I looked at the thread on downloading a calibration disk, and that's REALLY beyond my comprehension.

The review at http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...omparisons.htm

was a little disturbing UNTIL I read it CAREFULLY.

With the same cable video feed to the VL470M and my 12 year old 32" SonyXBR (the $2500, 240 pound, laboratory monitor, separate tuner CRT version), VL470M--the actor was wearing a solid brown sport coat and the sky behind was white. CRT--the actor was wearing a brown HERRINGBONE sport coat and the sky was a realistic blue with some white clouds. To be fair to the VL470M, I don't yet have an HD cable box, but I sure seem to be missing some picture quality details. I did play around with the advance settings, but I never got the HERRINGBONE and realistic blue sky with some white clouds, at the same time.

I'm sure some of you will prefer Sammy or Panny or Hitachi or Sony.... that's not the issue here. I'm getting HDMI cables tomorrow, and I have an upconverting DVD player. Can someone recommend a simple way of determining whether this PARTICULAR tv set (ooops, sorry, "panel") is fine or is a lemon?

Jane,

First of all congratulations on being the owner of the finest crt television set ever made. I remember those well--they were reference monitors for most of the Home Theater press at the time and originally sold for over 3k. They were the ultimate 480i television set.

The problem is that your new set is far from being the ultimate 480i set and that's all you've been feeding it. It is designed primarily to display incoming HD signals, not SD, and as such is disappointing when fed SD. While some more expensive HD sets may do a little better with SD none will look anywhere near as good as that old XBR.

Please be assured that there's nothing necessarily wrong with your Vizio, nor is there anything you can do to make it or any other HD set look as good with SD material as that XBR. You've been doing the equivalent of running a Ferrari on regular gas.

Get the HD cable box and definitely ditch the upconverting player for a good Blu Ray player. Purchase a copy of the Video Essentials calibration Blu Ray disc from Amazon--pretty easy to use and will help a lot toward optimizing the set.

There are still going to be some aspects of picture quality that look better on the crt set--most specifically deep inky blacks with good detail in dark scenes and perhaps the subtle color variations in facial closeups, but detail should really pop on the lcd.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I have to buy a REALLY big bottle of aspirin for the headache I've gotten reading Blu Ray player posts... yikes. All I want is good to excellent Netflix wired streaming on SD and HD movies, and reasonable Blu ray playing. I'm more into independent and foreign films than US made action thrillers that seem to get the most benefit from Blu Ray.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^Samsung offers lots of streaming video options on their players, but they're not the best at upconverting standard dvd. Alternatively the PS3 is a great BD and dvd player that does offer Netflix capability though you do need to use an enabling disc from Netflix until they get a firmware update in a few weeks/months.

I hear you on the predominance of action movies on Blu Ray disc, but Criterion has jumped onto the BD wagon lately so this should improve soon. The PS3 has the capability to automatically pillarbox native 4/3 dvds of older films--I watched Dinner at Eight from 1933 on mine last night and have enjoyed many of my old BW classics on it. Many other BD players require you to manually go into the menu and reset something before playing 4/3 movies and some won't pillarbox them at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts