AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To avoid paying comcast $26 per outlet connection, I went to Home Depot and got a 4 way splitter.

There are 5 outlets in my house, so I am only going to hook up 4 for now. Besides carrying a TV around to every outlet to check if it is recieving a signal... how can I use a multimeter to test which outlets are actually hooked up?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The signal is RF so a multimeter won't work to check that way. There is a way to locate a particular cable (when they are not connected) with a meter. Use a clip lead to short the center to shield at the TV location and use the ohmmeter to find the cable that is now shorted by measuring (center to shield) at the source location.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 /forum/post/14204568

The signal is RF so a multimeter won't work to check that way. There is a way to locate a particular cable (when they are not connected) with a meter. Use a clip lead to short the center to shield at the TV location and use the ohmmeter to find the cable that is now shorted by measuring (center to shield) at the source location.

Or the shorted cable may have a staple in it and actually be shorted somewhere in the middle of the run. Better to use a known resistance, such as a 75-ohm terminator, and look for the cable with ~70-80 ohms resistance.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/14205900

Or the shorted cable may have a staple in it and actually be shorted somewhere in the middle of the run. Better to use a known resistance, such as a 75-ohm terminator, and look for the cable with ~70-80 ohms resistance.

All you have to do is test before and after connecting the shorting lead. Some inexpensive meters can't resolve low restances very well. (everything under 100 seems to be zero)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts