AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to test, without a HD tuner, which digital signals I will be able to receive OTA?? I'd rather know that first, before I drop a couple of hundred on a box.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carletondm
Is there a way to test, without a HD tuner, which digital signals I will be able to receive OTA??
Not without expensive test equipment.

Just buy a SetTopBox at a local store with a no-hassle return policy (Sears, BestBuy, Circuit City, Walmart.com, etc.). If you can't receive any digital channels, take the box back for a full refund.

These stores see this every day, especially in places where DTV stations are not yet at full power.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
One word of caution with the SS - it is VERY directional. I had a problem with it trying to pick up a medium powered PBS DT from 15 miles out. Some days it was good; others it would occasionally drop out. I had the antenna in the garage rafters. So I replaced it with the CM 4221, and now everything (including the PBS station) comes in like gangbusters.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Yes, I also have it in the rafters of the garage. This won't work for everyone. Since I'm only 15 miles from the towers, it works for me. Someday, I'll probably mount it on top of my garage with a rotor to pick up other DTs as they come on the air. But, for now, it's serving my needs. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.