AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, wondering if one can just hook up a cable directly from sat receiver to LNB hitting 119 and test for signal without a multi-switch, (go into signal meter, and select 119 sat)? I seem to remember this working in past, but I cant seem to get it to work like lately, or just don't have line of site to 119. Oval 18X20 hits 101 and 110, but not 119. Trying to setup two individual dishes, then combine with my 5x8 Multi-switch. I just wanted to check signals before adding all extra wiring required for multi-switch.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work for a signal meter. When I installed SC my signal meter would hit any available bird, while of course the receiver would just ignore the input.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that either your 119 is not aligned, or your LNB is dead. For the moment, I'll assume the cables are good.

----------------------------------

Oops, after re-reading it looks like you want to use the receiver's signal meter. Why not just buy a cheap hand held signal meter? I know that should work, and the meter is always handy to have.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gooman
HoOval 18X20 hits 101 and 110, but not 119.
Where you at? On the east coast you really got to fiddle with the tilt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info, actually got 2 ovals, one with integrated multi-switch, and original 18x24 with seperate switch. Pretty sure LNB is OK, tried swapping it with another and no change. As for the 18x20 oval (with integrated switch), cant remove LNBs, so I just assumed a brand new dish would have good LNBs, Just returned that one to Circuit city and got the one I won on ebay, will try that one and see if I get same results, I am at the lowest location on my block and have lots of houses / obstacles in my way. Should be able to locate a place for a second dish at 119. Got a 90+ with std dish for 101..I have one of those $20 sat meter's and it is junk....Just picked up a nice digisat pro with dual sat capabilities it will, also will test wiring and LNB's. Just waiting for it to show up. Once I get that i think I can get myself straightened out...

Thanks,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for info, actually got 2 ovals, one with integrated multi-switch, and original 18x24 with separate switch. Pretty sure LNB is OK, tried swapping it with another and no change. As for the 18x20 oval (with integrated switch), cant remove LNBs, so I just assumed a brand new dish would have good LNBs, Just returned that one to Circuit city and got the one I won on ebay, will try that one and see if I get same results, I am at the lowest location on my block and have lots of houses / obstacles in my way. Should be able to locate a place for a second dish at 119. Got a 90+ with std dish for 101..I have one of those $20 sat meter's and it is junk....Just picked up a nice digisat pro with dual sat capabilities it will, also will test wiring and LNB's. Just waiting for it to show up. Once I get that i think I can get myself straightened out...

Thanks,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, on east coast, didn't really have to mess much with tilt on my 18x24 at previous residence...Are the 18x20's harder to align? Tilt, or Skew adjustment... I adjusted azimuth and tilt until I got best sig on 101, got 90+ had 80 + on 110, but nothing on 119. I have tried both 18X24 and 18X20 and same results, no 119...stinks, because I need that bird for the locals I have been paying for for quite some time now, just had $2000 worth of trees removed from my property, but now looks like a tree on someone Else's property may be problem...:(

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.