AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried a search but came up with squat on this.

i bought two testor paint pens at the local hobby store, a matte black and the silver everyone has been using for the color wheel mod.

my question is has anyone experimented with the matte black as opposed to the silver. does it work? will it last or burn off? if it does not work, how quickly will it burn off, will i have to clean the black paint off or can i just paint over it with the silver (or coats of both from the get-go?)

any info will be apreciated. thanks.

-robert

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
As black will absorb heat, I would think the potential for melt would be greater. I just used the silver and after a year there were no places where the silver had melted or evaporated. I tried a black sharpie before Guy K found the Testor and the heat caused it to melt away after a few hours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i went ahead with the black testor pen. after about 3 hours of viewing, there was no wear/discoloration/runoff/etc. of the paint. there was a smell for about the first 10-15 minutes or so. if it holds up i might try it in other places in the projector (light dump, etc.) i will post again when i have more hours on the paint.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am using high heat enamel engine paint for my x1. Color is aluminum After about a month it still looks the same as when I applied it. It is said to withstand up to 1200 degrees F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.