AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
And people are saying that the rate of change is going to slow :p !!! I guess thats what I would say if I had just bought a HD1 machine too !!!!

Its a slippery and ever steepening slope !!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Phreddy, Most of us with HD 1 projectors are too busy enjoying them to be worrying about what's coming up. There will always be something on the horizen and for me its a full 1080P resolution. Until then I am happy as a clam.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
ChrisO,

Thanks for the link. Another fantastic use of the internet. I'll print out a copy of the paper tomoorrow as soon as its posted.

Interesting in that I was just viewing the re-webcast of the TI Financial Analysts Conference this afternoon. DLP technology was hardly even mentioned. Its very small in the grand scheme of things within TIs radar screen. But it's clear why they aren't spending much effort yet on a 1080 DMD device. TI has many more opportunities than engineering resources and for every product line TI makes sure the available market will justify the allocation of scarce talent.

At this point in time, I'd make the same dicision if it were my own money.

·
Registered
364 Posts
With my newly installed Firehawk screen (previously Grayhawk), I found the contrast produced by my Sharp 9000 is almost too much to take.

Cam

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't thinkn contrast matters if you suffer from rainbows. I wish they would work on implementing a colorwheel version that reduces the rainbow effect to non-existence. Also a 60 W lamp with a whispering fan while still getting 1000+ Lumen wouldn't be too bad either.

We don't want rainbow and more noise from 150W + inefficient lamps.

Contrast. I can live with 1:600. It doesn't spoil my suspension of disbelief. 50 dB noise level does. And so do rainbows.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Will the next generation of $10K machines (HD2 based) be better? Of course, for a whole variety of reasons, mostly learning curve based. Will some improvement be from the HD2 chip over the HD1. Of course. Are the HD1 machines good enough? You have to be kidding. An HD1 machine does not come close to my modified Electrohome 9500LC. Will a $10K HD2 be closer? You bet. Will I replace my 9500LC with one? You have to be kidding. Could I be happy with a HD1? You bet. Could I be happier with an HD2? You bet.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
What is a little misleading in the report is whether or not HP's new product actually has the "black chip" aka DM3.

Since TI is referencing HP's design I bet the 1800:1 is very close to reality.

What is also interesting is that these optical changes are very cheap for 1 chip designs.

It will be interesting if the D-cinema stuff can ever get to 1800:1 with all of its optical complexity.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
The machines referenced are not $10K HD2 machines. No! No! No!. We are talking mega buck machines for the quoted contrast ratings. Will the next generation of $10K machines (HD2 based) be better? Of course, for a whole varuety of reasons, mostly learning curve based. Will some improvement be from the HD2 chip over the HD1. Of course. Are the HD1 machines good enough? You have to be kidding. An HD1 machine does not come close to my modified Electrohome 9500LC. Will a $10K HD2 be closer? You bet. Will I replace my 9500LC with one? You have to be kidding. Could I be happy with a HD1. You bet. Coukd I be happier wuth an HD2. You bet.
The HP projector referenced is a ~$4K business presentation projector.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Contrast and brightness at these levels will open up a whole new can of worms for us, namely how to prevent every last micro-lumen of stray light from hitting the screen, thereby reducing. . . contrast ratio!

Should keep us busy around here for a long time to come! :D

BTW, the HP XB31 is a presentation projector as Wiggles points out but it demonstrates the technologies that will take HT DLP to the next level, and very soon I would wager.

Dan

·
Registered
855 Posts
From the TI PRESS RELEASE -
Quote:
Of equal importance is the fact that the team was able to fan out this knowledge to our customer base such that products using such contrast-enhancement techniques appeared on the market within ten weeks.
Did anyone else notice that the first HD-1 based RPTVs had a contrast ratio claim of ~600:1 and the first HD-1 based FP had a contrast ratio claim of ~1100:1? Same chip, much better contrast ratio. It sounds like HD-1 FPs use these techniques already.

This PRESS RELEASE talks about apatures, light path efficiencies and brightness tradeoffs. In a past LT-150 thread on this board, Guy Kuo talked about adding apatures, slightly changing the light path (aiming off light away from the lens) and reducing the brightness ~30% but getting a measured 1200:1 CR. It will be interesting to see if this paper describes the same thing.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
To any HD1 owners who may have taken my post as a dig... That was not the intention I hope you are truly happy and satisfied with your machines...

What I intended to point out (with tougue firmly in cheek) was that the rate of change is only getting faster and that people who think that it is slowing or that we wont see much improvement from here are kidding only themselves...

·
Premium Member
24,814 Posts
"I wish they would work on implementing a colorwheel version that reduces the rainbow effect to non-existence."

I don't know about non-existence, but they are working an the so-called Archimedes scroll wheel to replace the current type color wheel. It's supposed to increase light efficiency and reduce or eliminate rainbows.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Phatt Phreddy,

No dig taken. I'm as anxious as anyone for the manufacturers to achieve the perfect black digital projector. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to upgrade. However, I think that the rate of change in overall projection quality will slow from now on. For instance, my bet is that going from HD1 to HD2 will be like going form the Sony 10HT to the Sony 11HT. Recent posts from Dan 'Marantz' Miller on the Special Guest Forum seem to bear this out. Also, I dont think that perfect black pjs will be in sight any time soon.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Huckster,

I imagine the lower contrast on the HD1 based RPTVs is due in large part to the fact that they used a closed cabinet. Any stray light would probably bounce around a bit reducing contrast.

I suspect that HD2 based RPTVs will suffer the same.

-phi

·
Registered
855 Posts
PhilB -

You could be right. :)

From what I remember looking inside one (it seems like a LONG time ago) the top section of the cabinet (where the fold mirrors reside) was sealed with only the lens sticking in from the other section. This would imply that the contrast would be reduced by the stray light getting into the lens from the engine and, as you said, any ambient on the screen.

The changes discussed in the TI PRESS RELEASE appear to address the stray light from the engine in the lens. I don't own one of these RPTVs so I can't take it apart to look but I'm guessing these same changes could increase the CR of the HD-1 RPTVs to ~1000:1 (or equal the HD-1 FPs, whatever that number really is).

By the way, has anyone found the referenced white paper on the new www.dlp.com site?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.